I miss vBulletin's Reputation system

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Lisa, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,473
    I know everyone is all in love with reactions and likes and what-have-you, but d'you know what.. I really miss the personal touch of sending someone reputation points with a little personal message.

Tell me I'm not alone in that. Someone out there must miss it with me :(

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,404
    That's one of many reasons I moved some of my forums to SMF which contains a similar function. It definitely makes a small reward mean something so much more than a like.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Lisa

+8,473
    There was always something nice about those little messages. Just a note as to why you were dishing rep out to someone. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic.

4. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    I miss those too.

It made it seem more personal when giving and receiving them. The rare chance I got one it always made me smile when it was a nice message or even a troll one :ROFLMAO:

5. Lisa

+8,473
    Exactly. And I think it also helped generate a sense of community in some ways.

6. Lisa

+8,473
  7. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Lisa I'll try and remember to upload one when I get home, I'm on my work computer :whistle:

8. Lisa

+8,473
    I'll keep bugging you until you do it. You know this. You must comply. It's the law.

9. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Law shmaw, I'm a rebel you should remember this from back when I was a late teen :cool:

10. Lisa

+8,473
    Yeah, but you love me, so you'll do it to keep me happy :LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  11. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Just so you don't appear out of no where with a death making machine in your hand

12. Lisa

+8,473
    It's a definite possibility.

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    Something like this?

rep2.png

rep3.png

rep.png

rep4.png

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  14. Lisa

+8,473
    Yes! But not showing in posts because that just looks like threaded comments and I don't like them.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    I would not even have considered to move to XF without a reputation system. Its a non-starter.

16. Lisa

+8,473
    I never used to miss it, to be honest. Just lately, I've been thinking about how I used to like to randomly dish out reputation and little messages to people.

17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    Its nice to let people know what you appreciate about their post. And even if the member is long gone, then its cool to have an automatic email notify them that they are getting positive ratings. It pulls them back in.

18. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Wow. This is quite genius.
    What add-on is this Alfa1? And is it publicly available? I don't recall ever having seen such in the XFRM - but I'd love to give it a whirl, as it is a bit of a more personal "community" feel type thing.
    And nope Lisa - I love the personal touch of leaving an inspiring message and thanking a member for insightful commentary! I mean - there are other ways to do it - but having the *official* functionality similar to vB's reputation system for XF would be sweet! I wonder if the XF guys have something like this planned and ready to implement as new functionality for the XF 2.2.x version. ((Wishful thinking...)) But hmmm. Have you made such a suggestion in the XF forums?

J.

19. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    The vB system was great because you could trade cheeky insults with a foe and neither party would complain to an administrator. It was also simpler. on most XF forums, I have the quote alerts enabled and nothing more. The "likes" feature is annoying.

It'd be neat if someone built out a comment rep system like Alfa1 pointed out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    Its a private very extensive addon that I had built and keep extending. Advanced Reputation & Post Review System. I share my addons with a very limited group of admins because I am not in the business of making money from addon sales, support and overly demanding customers that come with that. I don't have the time to offer the support for such. I share my addons with a few skilled admins whom I know need very little support. This allows me to recoup some of the development costs.

I do intent to have my addons ported to XF2.2. I have some nice idea's for the reputation addon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.