I have a big community on vb 4 and I'm a worried...

Fulvio

Neophyte
Thanks for your answers...here is my answer after 9 months... i'm totally decided to leave vbulletin but i have not yet decided where to go.

John Yoerger my developer seem crazy for me too ;) but the reality is this one:
If you want just a forum with some additional simple features and some articles for sure xenforo or ibp are the best solutions.

But in my case i need 2 points that are not compatible with forum softwares like xenforo

1) I need to develop a big functionnality that will become the main functionality of the website and that all users will use but I will need also to install or develop other powerful addons, like a classified ads system (but not a simple one...) and different other ones.
The problem is then to have everything linked and with a maxium of interactions between all those solutions.

Joomla already have really powerful plugins and offer different solutions to achieve this kind of project.

2) Since social networks are there I think that forums are less attractive for a lot of users. Jomsocial offers the integration of this aspect with the forum (with the kunena one) and I think it's really interesting.

What happen today is that users come directly to forum because there are no software interactions with other parts of the website. It's true that my website is not well developed but my goal and my vision of comunity is that comunity should be able to easily use other tools and not feel trapped inside a forum.
I think that globally forums need to evolve in many aspects to become more a mix between forum and social networks. When I speak about social networks I mean the way to use them, their design very simple, when you write something your comment is immediatly there with no page reload and things like this.
I know that ibp/xenforo made a lot of improvments but maybe they are good only if you plan to have the forum and you dont plan to create a real community with many functionalities

I'm still a bit lost, because I know that xenforo/ibp are better forums but they are not good enough to build something around them.
I never thought to be in this kind of situation in 2015 but now in the next few days I'll have to take decisions and spend money to go on....
I feel like we are in a transition period. I don't know you, but i think that forums are becoming old, they didn't evolve enough on social aspect and today this aspect is becoming crucial...

rudedog

Jim
Both AVforums and DigitalPoint have built very large forums with many custom integrated features around xF. You can really do a lot with the forum software when it's built upon a stable platform.

TBH it sounds like you really need something completely custom to your specifications. Hire a good dev and let them build you something exactly what you want.

Good luck!!

Spinball

Aspirin
I wouldn't develop a big project on XF1 now with XF2 coming soon and sounding so different. Wait until XF2 is out. XF has been a solid platform for a good developer to quickly integrate custom features into.

Last edited:

Fulvio

Neophyte
The big project will be created on Joomla because we know it offers a lot of possibilities that no other platform can offer (for our needs)
So my choices are : use kunena but I'm afraid that it could be negative for our users and for our moderator staff, use another solution like xenforo with a bridge (bridge not ready...) that will limit the really good functionalities of jomsocial.

As i said before Jomsocial offer this social approach that miss in all forum solutions and moreover that interact with other plugins/functionalities we will build inside Joomla.

I write here because I'm a bit lost and sad to see that in 2015 there is not a perfect solution :)

bigK

Aspirant
The big project will be created on Joomla because we know it offers a lot of possibilities that no other platform can offer (for our needs)
So my choices are : use kunena but I'm afraid that it could be negative for our users and for our moderator staff, use another solution like xenforo with a bridge (bridge not ready...) that will limit the really good functionalities of jomsocial.

As i said before Jomsocial offer this social approach that miss in all forum solutions and moreover that interact with other plugins/functionalities we will build inside Joomla.

I write here because I'm a bit lost and sad to see that in 2015 there is not a perfect solution :)

Fulvio,

I’m the exact same spot as you!

I have a 10 year old mature vb forum with 30k members and almost 1 million posts. I also have a Joomla CMS with 20k articles and these two are bridged with bbpixel with single sign-on etc. bbpixel also offers a discussbot that allows articles from joomla to be posted on vbulletin and vbulletin commnets to show in joomla. We also have a jomsocial community.

The challenge is to transform the website from being one site with three communities to one big interactive community where users do not feel “locked up” in the forum.

The options I’m evaluating right noare

1. Joomla + vbulletin + prayers ;)
2. Joomla + Xenforo: this removes VB issues but still have issues with interactivity
3. Joomla + EasySocial + EasyDiscuss - This removes clears up interactivity issues, but EasyDiscuss is not mature enough for such a big community.

For now, I’m keenly watching developments of Xenforo and EasyDiscuss to see how things evolve.

I'm keenly interested to see how you decide.