I am choosing a paid forum software

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by ocworld, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ocworld

ocworld Soon to be a...

+0
    Hello everyone, I have decided to buy a paid forum software but I am not sure whether to get IPB or vB, I want software which will have all the features I want, which phpBB (what I am currently using) does not have (e.g. Custom Profile Field, Attachments, Quick Reply, Great support, Subforums, Global Announcements, Password protected forums, reputation system, referrer system), but at the same time I don't want too many features which make the site look stupid (e.g. phpbbfm) I have come to the following conclusions:

-vB seems to be a favourite, also I cannot find a "free" vB hosting system (IPB has one: Invisionfree.com) - I don't like seeing other people using the same software that I paid over $100 for free.

-vB is cheaper than IPB (for an owned license).

-IPB's default skin looks nicer than vB's.

So I am coming to the conlcusion that vB is the better choice, if any could anybody confirm this or tell me I am making a big mistake, I would be very greatful.

2. Brook

Brook Devotee

+17
    vB is amazing :) The more I use it the more I love it! I used to run phpbb but it's nothing compared to vB.

If you search this site for 'paid forum platform' you can see what others think about them too :)

In my opinion tho, you just can't beat vB :)

3. Jijo

Jijo Fan

+0
    My vote goes to VB as well :D. I am not a programmer by profession but is able to manage, configure and create my own stylesheet with very little help...just amazing piece of software backed with excellent support.

4. AxisTalk

AxisTalk Adherent

+0
    vBulletin.

Easier styles, more hacks/mods, more template mods, more user friendly.

5. DMB

DMB vBulletin User

+1
    vBulletin. Please, please, please change your default style if you get it. It only works for vbulletin.com

6. AxisTalk

AxisTalk Adherent

+0
    ^And boards which are about vBulletin software.

7. DMB

DMB vBulletin User

+1
    Touche!

8. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    :bs:I have over 3000 members and over 100,000 posts and I use the default VB style.

9. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    OCworld, you should try the admin demos of both boards before you buy. VB has all the features that you are looking for and IPB probably has them as well. You should also take a look at both forum's hacking communities to see if there are any hacks that you would like to install. Take alook at vbulletin.org and IPBs hacking site before you buy.

10. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
  11. accyroy

accyroy Giant Hedgehog

+3
    IPB also has paid subscriptions built in. Remember, theadminzone users are biased towards vbulletin. I am quite lucky in that I don't play the fanboy game - I run 2 vbulletin forums and 2 IPB forums. Really, they are both excellent pieces of software but I am thinking IPB is just nudging slightly ahead at the moment. I'd try the demo of both pieces of software before you take the decision. But no matter what piece of software you go for, try to stay neutral, and realise that they both do almost the same thing - very well.

Also, invisionfree do not offer the same software as invision. Invision free are based on version 1.3 of IPB and cannot distribute/host versions greater than 1.3 for free due to licensing. So don't worry about people getting the software for free, invisionfree software is years old.

12. webrover

webrover Adherent

+0
    yeah as others have VB is the best

13. gprime

gprime Getting Back Into It

+2
    The thing is, both are great. Its really a matter of personal choice. This site is a bit skewed, since most members here prefer vB. Personally, I say Invision is worth the little bit of extra money. I prefer it as an admin, and even more so as a user.

14. Graham

Graham I Like It Here :)

+2
    Which one you choose is down to personal preference but the major thing that seems to be talked about is the fabulous support that is available for Vb. I may be reading biassed opinions of course but I see a lot of complaints about the lack of support and bad treatment of customers at 'that other board' :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.