I absolutely hate being interrupted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MarkFL, Aug 8, 2017.

1. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+41
    I remember in a ASL class someone in the class kept interrupting playing on their phone. Annoying.

2. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+65
    I complain about it on the internet.

3. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    Yes, speaking about life's issues among online friends can be cathartic. :)

Perhaps you've not much of importance to say, and don't understand the issue?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+65
    The issue of being interrupted? It's not much of an issue for me really. You should learn to not sweat the small stuff. Focus on big-picture issues in your life, not the mundane idiosyncrasies of how the conversations you have are structured. Sometimes people are unaware they are being rude or they are just too excited to get some info out. Perhaps you dominate a conversation and people have to interrupt you just to feel like they are participating in an actual conversation instead of just listening to you talk. Who knows?

5. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+639
    For younger folks, can boil down to too much screen & sms texting time on mobile, laptops and computers and thus lack the necessary skills to pick up on non-verbal/verbal cues as to proper etiquette for face to face communication. For older people it can be many reasons i.e. fear of their message being ignored or not being heard or understood properly.

And for folks here in their 60s thinking of getting old, you're only as old as you feel and act https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/fashion/weddings/senior-citizen-older-couple-wedding.html ;)

6. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    If it's not an issue to you personally, then the best thing to have done would have been to move on to the next thread rather than make a snarky remark. In my first post I asked how others deal with this issue.

To me it's not a big issue overall, but it is still a pet peeve and I was curious if others here felt the same way. I felt it was worth discussing. Not every discussion has to be about life's greatest issues, and what is important to one may not be important to another...this kind of thing can be very subjective.

Had you read the thread, you would be aware that I posted this frequently happens after only one or two sentences. I certainly do not dominate any conversation, but I do expect to be allowed to finish my thought before another person begins speaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted