I absolutely hate being interrupted

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
There are several people in my life for whom the simple civilized act of allowing me to complete verbalizing my thoughts before blathering over me seems to be an impossibility. I don't take this well, because it says to me that they aren't interested in what I have to say and that what they have to say is more important and should take precedence.

Sometimes what I do is continue speaking, increasing my volume until they shut up and wait their turn. Another tactic is to allow them to finish their interruption, and then immediately pick up where I left off, and completely disregard whatever it was they felt had to be said NOW. If they asked a question, and then indicate they are waiting for an answer, I play stupid and act like I had no idea they said something. Lastly, I might firmly interrupt them and point out that I was speaking, and that they should wait their turn to speak.

I have spoken to these people on multiple occasions regarding how I feel about their rude behavior, but they just cannot or will not control themselves. I get the feeling that most people just let this slide given that so many people seem to do it. It makes me feel that perhaps I should just resign myself to the fact that many people never learned how to carry on a conversation.

Anyone else here face this issue? If so, how do you deal with it?

Paul M

Super Moderator
I cant say Ive ever really suffered from this, not that I recall anyway.

EasyEazy

Participant
Yes regularly in the work place when im trying to get my point across. Happens in Xbox live parties as well and I do exactly the same as you where I talk louder till they shut up.

Another one for me is trying to talk for me when im on the phone. Ill just ignore them on that one.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I have kids - this happens pretty much 24/7 lol

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I cant say Ive ever really suffered from this, not that I recall anyway.

I don't know this of course, but I would venture that people in your neck of the woods are less likely to interrupt. :)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I have kids - this happens pretty much 24/7 lol

Yeah, I let it slide with young kids and once they are about 8 or older, I will politely point out to them that they should let people finish speaking. :)

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I don't know this of course, but I would venture that people in your neck of the woods are less likely to interrupt. :)
I was thinking the same. In fact, I think Paul only lives about 10 miles away from me and I'm sure I can feel the waves of annoyance coming from his direction at times :D

Steve

Fanatic
There are several people in my life for whom the simple civilized act of allowing me to complete verbalizing my thoughts before blathering over me seems to be an impossibility. I don't take this well, because it says to me that they aren't interested in what I have to say and that what they have to say is more important and should take precedence.

Sometimes what I do is continue speaking, increasing my volume until they shut up and wait their turn. Another tactic is to allow them to finish their interruption, and then immediately pick up where I left off, and completely disregard whatever it was they felt had to be said NOW. If they asked a question, and then indicate they are waiting for an answer, I play stupid and act like I had no idea they said something. Lastly, I might firmly interrupt them and point out that I was speaking, and that they should wait their turn to speak.

I have spoken to these people on multiple occasions regarding how I feel about their rude behavior, but they just cannot or will not control themselves. I get the feeling that most people just let this slide given that so many people seem to do it. It makes me feel that perhaps I should just resign myself to the fact that many people never learned how to carry on a conversation.

Anyone else here face this issue? If so, how do you deal with it?
For a moment there I thought my wife had registered and decided to call me out :p

I try my best not to but my brain to mouth receptors usually win. I’m bad about it because if I don’t speak I’ll usually forget what needs said by the time my wife’s what should be a 2 minute story turns into to a 15 minute one. :D

Maddox

Habitué
Happens all the time where I live - there must be something about older people that feel the need to get off their chests what is so important just in case they pop off before they're finished. I just take the batteries out of my head and let them chunter on, then when they've finished I say 'pardon, can you repeat that'?

o_O

fixer

I'm In My Prime
some people who interupt may have multiple questions and if they dont start letting them out they are afraid they will forget them

quilty

:D

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Happens all the time where I live - there must be something about older people that feel the need to get off their chests what is so important just in case they pop off before they're finished. I just take the batteries out of my head and let them chunter on, then when they've finished I say 'pardon, can you repeat that'?

o_O

There must be something about younger people who feel the need to stereotype older people.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
I don't have the tendency to over-embellish or meander when speaking. Typically, I get interrupted two sentences in, and I haven't found that any particular age group is more or less guilty of this than any other. I like the retort, "I'm sorry...did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?"

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
...there must be something about older people that feel the need to get off their chests what is so important just in case they pop off before they're finished.
This might be my problem... to an extent. I don't get interrupted so much as the listener's eyes appear to glaze over or they seem anxious for me to stop and then they make an excuse to leave or change the subject.

I can't speak for other old people. I'm 67, live alone and sometimes do feel lonely. Or maybe it's just that on those rare occasions I do have company, I tend to blather on because I haven't talked to anyone in days. The unfortunate fact is, most people don't want to be around sick people. Even though I don't usually have that weakish look or appear frail, it's pretty obvious there's a problem. It's not just the hose in my nose. I get short of breath easy and have difficulty speaking clearly because my throat gargles at most inopportune moments. So, I'm not surprised I get so little company. I think most people don't even realize they stay away because of this. Heck, I am guilty of it myself in many years past.

So, I get a little carried away when I get to talking. I have a hard time getting to the point and I berate myself for it when everyone's gone. And I know it's not everyone's fault for interrupting me. Sometimes it's my fault. More than sometimes, perhaps.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
This might be my problem... to an extent. I don't get interrupted so much as the listener's eyes appear to glaze over or they seem anxious for me to stop and then they make an excuse to leave or change the subject.

I can't speak for other old people. I'm 67, live alone and sometimes do feel lonely. Or maybe it's just that on those rare occasions I do have company, I tend to blather on because I haven't talked to anyone in days. The unfortunate fact is, most people don't want to be around sick people. Even though I don't usually have that weakish look or appear frail, it's pretty obvious there's a problem. It's not just the hose in my nose. I get short of breath easy and have difficulty speaking clearly because my throat gargles at most inopportune moments. So, I'm not surprised I get so little company. I think most people don't even realize they stay away because of this. Heck, I am guilty of it myself in many years past.

So, I get a little carried away when I get to talking. I have a hard time getting to the point and I berate myself for it when everyone's gone. And I know it's not everyone's fault for interrupting me. Sometimes it's my fault. More than sometimes, perhaps.
Now I wish I lived closer. I'd come visit you and let you talk as much as you want! I'm more of a listener than a talker, so I prefer other people to do all the talking. I'll happily sit and listen to other people, if it means I don't have to be the one making conversation.

Maddox

Habitué
Jim McClain I can empathise with your situation as I suffer the same. The only person that visits me is my neighbour, but she is 82 and not well herself. I can blather on when I do get a visit (though only when it's my turn lol), but like you it's because I'm on my own. Where I live we have communal lounge, but man some of those people put me to shame when it comes to yakking lol. I'm a wee bit younger than you, I'm just a chicken (albeit a one legged one) at 63, I suffer from chronic arthritis and some people think I'm about to snuff it when that little bugger Arthur goes around with his razors and slashes at a joint, I also suffer from Vertigo; so yeah, I can empathise with you in regards to many not wishing to be around someone who is sick.

There's no real joy in getting older, unless you are lucky enough to be devoid of ailments associated with age. I'll put my violin away now lol.

:whistle:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
There must be something about younger people who feel the need to stereotype older people.
Pretty sure Maddox is one of those older people he's referring to :D

/Edited to add - yup, he just posted his age lol

Next year I reach that magical age of 69 where I will remember the number but forget its significance. upload_2017-8-9_20-0-50.gif
But I too like to listen like when I sit back and read what others say. I learn more about the point being made and the person making it.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I used to have an open door policy with my employees. Come in and interrupt me if it's important. Now I have a please knock policy. I'm at that stage in my life where I only want to hear concise thoughts and ideas, not every single thing that passes through another person's mind. Having some peace and quiet a few hours out of the week is possibly the most luxurious experience for me right now, especially with kids.

I do enjoy woodworking or gardening a lot for this very reason. Also, my habit of making nearly everything into a DIY project.

KimmiKat

Fan
I remember in a ASL class someone in the class kept interrupting playing on their phone. Annoying.