Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fixer, Sep 12, 2018.

1. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    im suppose to be in kure beach this week, was told not to come by condo owner, no refunds no travel insurance so im out 2g

sucks for me praying for everyone in the path!

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    Two grand? Did you pay with a credit card?

3. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    yes 3 mths ago

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,134
    Chargeback much?
    Dispute the charges with your card's customer service reps.

J.

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    One reason it's not a good idea to rent property near the coastal zones during hurricane season. ;)
    You should still be able to contest the charge. The owner can always file with the federal government to recoup the lost monies that the hurricane caused - if he's willing to jump through the hoops.
    Tell him your coming down and expect the condo to be in habitable shape and that you are not responsible for any storm damage that would have not have been done if proper storm precautions are taken. I'm sure the damage would be well more than the $2000 he's trying to get for free - and odds are since he's renting the condo his insurance won't cover it (unless he has a special rider or is a normal business renting condos) so it would come out of his pocket. Two can play at the f'ya over game.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    I agree with Tracy. If you booked this through any of the larger sites like HomeAway or VRBO, even if the property was listed as no refunds that is no refunds if you cancel. What we have here is the owner canceling and saying screw you I'm keeping the money.

7. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+54
    He canceled not you. If paid with a CC, dispute now. Florence is making a mess of things. But from now on, hit the coast between 1 Nov and 1 June (which is not hurricane season).

8. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    What scares me the most about this hurricane is the big number 2 in the center of it, it must be solid rock

9. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    Category 2 isn't that bad. Hell, a few decades ago we had a Category 1 roll through my city, and we are 300 miles away from the coast (that hurricane held together really well). That was an unusual one and it was still at a Cat 2 when it was around 75 miles south of us. At Cat 2 it's not even considered a major hurricane and most coastal communities have had multiple exposures to those size ones. Heck, some T-storms can have Cat 2 winds in them.

10. southernlady

+54
    Actually the worse part now is how long Florence diddlefarts just off the coast throwing water inland. And if she makes landfall at high tide. Most of the coast will flood if there is 3 inches of rain in a 48 hour period. Wilmington regularly floods at the drop of a hat. (Use to live in Wilmington metro).

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    They are predicting up to 3 feet of rainfall and some areas will have highwater 13 feet above normal.

12. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    Arghhh... the title of this thread bugs me every time I see it. Wish a moderator/staff would fix it.
    It's Florence, not Florance.

13. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,468
    I certainly don't envy those in the path of this storm...been through enough of them myself to know what a huge deal they can be.

Done. I thought about doing it earlier, but decided against it, but your post was enough to nudge me. :)

14. southernlady

+54
    Thank you. It’s been bugging me too.

15. TheNakedMan

TheNakedMan Enthusiast

+6
    You don't want to be at Kure Beach right now.

I'm not too far from the path, but it's not too fun without power, water, or being blown around with debris. Stay safe.

However, I would do a chargeback asap.

16. southernlady

+54
    You stay safe as well.

17. southernlady

+54
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 1:43 PM
  18. fixer

fixer Just Me

+534
    you think it will be good on the 22nd?

19. southernlady

+54
    Considering the back side of the eye is still sitting on top of that area and as slow as Florence is moving, I wouldn't think so.

20. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    The storm was/is a dud compared to all the sky is falling predictions of 150 mph winds slamming the shore, it was barely Cat 1 by the time it hit. Not that the rain and damage are trivial, but it could have been much, much worse.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.