Nginx HTTPS users, how many are using Brotli compression for performance?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by eva2000, Mar 6, 2017.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    Curious how many HTTPS users also deploy Brotli compression instead of Gzip to reduce their static web page assets' sizes ?

Centmin Mod Nginx server uses can enable Brotli compression over HTTPS to reduce their web page static asset sizes and save on bandwidth https://community.centminmod.com/th...sion-for-centmin-mod-nginx-web-servers.10688/ :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+600
    Why is adoption slow?

I googled it and it goes back to 2015. It's now 2017..

4. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Enthusiast

+59
    I use brotli on .css and .js files

5. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    Web server support and requirement for HTTPS with SSL certificates probably why Brotli adoption is slow. And probably the fact that alot of folks don't even know Brotli exists and is available if their web server supports it !

6. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Enthusiast

+59
    One thing that initially withhold me was the fact I had to turn off gzip to let brotli also work on text/html mime types since gzip is permantely enabled for text/html. I'm sure there's probably a workaround for it to serve gzip to older browsers, but I haven't bothered looking into it.

Though the brotli gains don't look that impressive based on a single page load, it looks pretty effective in the monthly stats with -in my case- an increase of visitors, pages and hits while the used bandwidth is lower than before

7. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    not sure what setup you have, but for ngx_brotli module for Nginx it's all taken care of automatically by web browser supported content encodings so if browser doesn't support brotli it falls back to gzip. That's how my Centmin Mod Nginx based LEMP stack environment works with ngx_brotli module :)

8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,422
    Adoption is slow because a great many web servers use Linux distributions such as Centos which focus on stability. not cutting edge.

That being said, I run Brotli on my Centos 6 and 7 boxes. I also have static files precompressed with both brotli and zopfli (for browsers which do not support brotli).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  9. Nuno

Nuno Participant

+13
  10. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+650
    true for CentOS servers indeed :)

I also precompress where possible. I wrote a brotli.sh script to do it https://github.com/centminmod/brotli.sh :)

yeah aware of cloudflare's ngx_brotli module. Using Google's ngx_brotli module myself https://github.com/google/ngx_brotli :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted