How'd you find YaBB?

Discussion in 'YaBB' started by crackers8, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Converted from YaBB SE / SMF

2.3%
  2. Converted from Eblah

2.3%
  3. Converted from another system not listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Installed it directly through web host controls

16.3%
  5. Found it on a search engine

18.6%
  6. Heard about it from a friend or fellow webmaster

16.3%
  7. Found it on a forum you frequent

11.6%
  8. Read about it at the Admin Zone

9.3%
  9. Read about it on the Forum Insider

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (please specify with a reply)

16.3%
  11. Found it on CGI Resource Index

7.0%
  1. crackers8

crackers8 Developer

+0
  2. ArcticFlood

ArcticFlood Participant

+0
    I found YaBB on a search engine when I was searching for an alternative to Conforums, which was remotely hosted. I actually saw a YaBB SE board, but it was an older version and the URL didn't work in the copyright. From there, Google led me to the Perl YaBB, and I haven't looked back since then.

3. Leilani

Leilani Fan

+2
    I found it through a webmaster friend who used it.

4. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+97
    When I was a "young" webmaster and started the forum thing I used conforums with the free yabb install. After 2 months I just quit using it since the last 10 posts was killing me. I had already a forum with more than 10 posts a day and this would make it impossible to keep up with them.

I heard about phpBB so I started using it. Right now I consider myself quite proficient with it and started working with IPB too to see how it's going. For me Yabb is something from the past. I don't look back ;)

5. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann SMF Lead Developer

+40
    YaBB SE was a PHP port of an older version of YaBB. It has since been replaced by SMF.

6. ArcticFlood

ArcticFlood Participant

+0
    I know this, but it was at least two years ago when I searched for this, and it was an old SE board by that standards. Releases of SE were still happening until 2004 according to Sourceforge's page. The copyright pointed to the ancient yabb.info domain in that version. (It's no longer online, it was just a test forum)

7. Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann SMF Lead Developer

+40
    Yeah, yabb.info is a pretty old domain. I started using YaBB SE in 2003 (I think) and it was yabbse.org at that point.

8. Leilani

Leilani Fan

+2
    Yabb 2.0 is a huge improvement over earlier versions. I didn't especially like 1.4 (poor admin controls, mediocre security, and frequent trouble with IMG tags), so I was very pleased when 2.0 was released.

9. Outumuro

Outumuro TAZXbar Publisher

+2
    Several years ago I was handed the reins to a forum that was being hosted on EZBoard. Shortly after I started looking into other forum alternatives, hopefully something that would meet my server requirements... YaBB fit perfectly.

Since then YaBB has continued to get better and more powerful with each release. I and the users I support are very satisfied with YaBB.

10. curt_grymala

curt_grymala Participant

+0
    Me too.

11. mikehallsted

mikehallsted Aspirant

+1
    several years ago, i did not know anything about forums, but i felt the need to find out about them. some site, that i had found, listed a bunch of different forums, so i went and looked and read about them all (there were like 20 or so different forums listed).

anyway, at that time, i did not know anything about databases either, so i thought it would be best to try out a forum that did not use a database. that significantly narrowed my choices. yabb looked interesting, then i looked at the install instructions... and that looked easy enough... so i tried yabb out and i have not looked at any other forum software since then.

yabb is simple and easy, and with boardmod, adding and modding yabb can't get any simplier. i really do enjoy a flat file forum... and backing it up is extremely simply with a good ftp client that mirrors my remote yabb folder with a local copy on my hard drive... yabb is simple to install, to use, to backup, to restore....

when all is said and done, yabb is very cool.

12. Sir_Dane

Sir_Dane Aspirant

+0
    I also learned from a search engine. And let me tell you I am soooo glad I found this software, it is very easy to use and my guild loves it. Yes my Boards are for a gaming guild.

13. michi50

michi50 Neophyte

+0
    i have find yabb on boardunity.de

14. kentec

kentec Neophyte

+0
    Well must say that a friend started his board useing Yabb and thought It was the way to go..
    So went for it myself.
    After 3 weeks of opening now have 1223 members and riseing
    So big thanks to the lads that put in them hours makeing the lovely bit of kit

15. lukey07

lukey07 Neophyte

+0
    othercp

cpanel x

16. AutoKathy

AutoKathy Enthusiast

+2
    Heard about it from a friend or fellow webmaster.

The forum I was a member of was on Ezboard. The webmaster had recently bought her own webspace and installed YaBB. I was promoted to an admin and so became familiar with how it ran.
    I later installed my own board and have now upgraded to 2.1 - as has the forum I (still) admin on.

17. burke27

burke27 Participant

+0
    i found it here when i was browsing through the forums

18. crazyleaf

crazyleaf Enthusiast

+0
    I had only I mysql database available in my hosting (which I used for my blog), and YaBB was present and it doesn't use a mysql database, so ....

19. Sakurachan

Sakurachan Aspirant

+0
    I found it through my web host. Which is SpaceSocket.com

20. crackers8

crackers8 Developer

+0
    Was it pre-provided in cPanel with them or did they just suggest it somehow?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted