How to quickly and easily make my vB3 Forum READ Only

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by oldengine, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

1. oldengine

oldengine oldengine

+2
    How to quickly and easily make my vB3 Forum READ Only while I make my transition over to the promised community? No, not set a whole bunch of permissions or Turn Your vBulletin On and Off.

Ultimately, it will be: Redirect 301 /oldfolder/ http://www.newdomain.net/newfolder/

But, during the changeover, I'd like to make the old location read-only until we have everything moved and settled. I don't want to re-invent the wheel and surely someone knows how to do this.

Thank you, everyone, it has been a good fifteen and 1/2 years and 1.5 million posts, but end-of-life is THE END.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,393
    There is no way of doing this through the adminCP that I'm aware of (other than by changing permissions). Can you not just change the permissions for the registered user group?

Otherwise I would suggest disabling new registrations which you can do in the aCP and removing the editor. I don't have access to vB3 so I can't tell you exactly how to do it but it should be easily achievable by adding the appropriate code in your style's extra.css template.

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,228
    As zappa says, you cannot directly.
    You must alter usergroup permissions.

You could write a pluging that disables the appropriate permissions for everyone.
    Honestly though, just doing it the proper way is better, plus you can still allow admins update access.

4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,730
    Doing it right is the best option but, assuming you don't use tapatalk or any kind of 3rd party service, just blank out all the new posting and new reply templates and disable quick reply in the settings.

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,256
    Backup the editpost.php, newreply.php, newattachment.php and newthread.php files.

Replace them with a simple php script:

Code:
    <?php
    echo "Sorry, posting is temporarily disabled.";

And turn off Tapatalk posting for all user groups.

6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,730
    Not sure if that would stop editing... Just trying to think of everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.