How to prevent illegal conversations?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by \o/, Oct 1, 2019.

1. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    Is there a common approach to the problem that is is theoretically possible that users use your conversations system to exchange illegal contents, like drug dealers etc.?

Because I really would like to avoid that.

2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    If I felt such things were going on, I would consider finding/creating an addon that would allow me to monitor private messages/conversations, and to be transparent about it, I would make it known that such interactions are subject to staff scrutiny.

I've never felt the need for that though, as I figure people will more likely use other even more private means of communication.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    Do they exist?

4. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    Yes, I have heard of such addons for several of the more popular platforms. Anyone who has access to the database can just look at the appropriate tables too.

5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    Not sure what you're community type is, but...

In my opinion, you're solving a problem that you likely won't ever have.

Think of all the "illegal" crap that goes on in texts, or Facebook Messenger, or frankly anywhere else.

More bluntly - why do you care?

6. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    I try to avert problems before they happen.

7. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    I understand that.
    However - can you point to a single instance of a forum admin experiencing this "problem"? Ever?
    I can't.

Also - don't ignore the cost. Direct messaging can be a popular feature, and removing privacy from it may kill a key function of your community.

8. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+252
    Well intentioned maybe, but a road to hell. Your members won't see this as anything other than a gross invasion of privacy. I wouldn't even join a community that did this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+320
    1) Allow certain usergroups only to have private conversations enabled, such as for only those users with x amount of posts (which means users with 0 posts can't use the conversation system).
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/addonslab-conversation-permissions.5658/

2) There are 2-3 XF addons for example which let you access conversations of all your users. So, you could always monitor them.
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-essentials.6694/
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-search-plus.6504/

3a) Or you could use a keyword/censor method to prevent stuff before happening. For example you could use keywords to replace words you don't want in conversations mentioned, like replace the word "drugs" with the word "censored".
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/keyword-linking-by-siropu.7406/

upload_2019-10-1_20-23-13.png

3b) Or you could use this monitoring addon which also works based on keywords.:
    https://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-monitor-for-xenforo-2.6715/

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    Similar tools are available in Invision community:

Group permissions on who can use Personal messages

Word filters that can automatically identify and moderate key words

Third party tool that allows administrators to access PM

One thing I want to add is, like most problems, prevention is the best approach. Don't host a community or encourage participation in topics that would even border on illegal.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  11. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    Have I mentioned that IPS is one of the systems I'm considering?

Ah, I love how software makes decisions for me.

12. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+757
    Feel free to post any presales questions in the Invision Community board and I will try to answer.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  13. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    Give me two months... Still working on a safe concept.

14. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    With it you would not need addons.
    Login as the user.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  15. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,032
    TAZ flagrantly lets people buy and sell VB licences out here in the open on this website, an a public forum! Children can even see the threads and potentially buy themselves a licence! This is the stuff we should really be trying to prevent.

That's got to be way more harmful, to far more people the in the long run than a wee bit of drug dealing here and there.

16. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    I doubt that The Sandman will have even remotely as much trouble when someone finds the Classifieds.

17. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,032
    I was going to suggest this as well. IIRC it can also be used to catch scammers and not just catch illegal trade. They can detect if someone is trying to share the same bank details with multiple people. It's a good idea if you have a very active BST section.

18. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,168
    A good old disclaimer is all you need...

“We are not responsible for anything”

Done.

19. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    I doubt that the law would say so.

20. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,457
    Thing is - its kind of hard to monitor each and every conversation if you have more then a few members. Its not realistic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.