How to make a skin on Invision Power Board

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
PalePhoenix said:
Ja, get on that Kapz, before I have to crack the whip on my skinning moderator again. He was just whining that Duggy's site is down. ;)
will do 2morrow afternoon after i hand in my coursework

McAwesome

idiot
I'm in the middle of trying to update a 2.1.x skin to 2.2 on a test forum. Man, I'm struggling. The basic stuff is done and I'm working on the new profile css parts today (and I guess the design of the page where you actually post is in style_images/skin_name/folder_editor_images/css_rte.css ???).

However, I'm having a weird transparency issue with my drop down menus. According to the 2.2 CSS Guide, popmenu-category, popmenu-item and popmenu-item-last are the relevant pieces. I've gone over and over this and compared my css code to the IPB 2.2 Default skin, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas?

McAwesome

idiot
nitr021 said:
oh popmenu arrow macro changed from "--" to "~~"
I gotta plead stupidity on this one, and I'm sorry if I'm overlooking something...but...uh...what should I do?:confused:

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
Hey, Kapz, I don't suppose you can tell me why the Latest News setting ain't workin' fo me? Something you've noticed in passing, possibly?

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
<- Secret Jewish Media Cabal Leader

grepper said:
I just realised I DON'T HAVE A FORUM SKIN :(

(does that make me Jewish?)
:biglaugh:

No. Only your bar mitzvah seals the deal. But it IS Chanukhah!

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
PalePhoenix said:
Hey, Kapz, I don't suppose you can tell me why the Latest News setting ain't workin' fo me? Something you've noticed in passing, possibly?
maybe because of the following in the newslink template bit under board index.

HTML:
 <br /> <b>$this->ipsclass->vars['board_name']} {$this->ipsclass->lang['newslink']}</b> <i> <a href="$this->ipsclass->base_url}showtopic=$tid"> $title</a> </i>

Normally it takes the news from forum id 1, you could change it here:

ACP Home > View General Settings > News Set-up

I am pretty sure that it cache the news in ipb.cache so just go run a cache refresh. which is under maintenance in settings in the admincp

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
McAwesome said:
I gotta plead stupidity on this one, and I'm sorry if I'm overlooking something...but...uh...what should I do?:confused:
normally

the popmenu looks like this:

HTML:
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
menu_build_menu(
"zoints-drop",
new Array( "--NODIV--<div class='popupmenu-category' align='center'>{$this->ipsclass->lang['zt_dropdwn_zoints']}</div>",
img_item + "<a href='{$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_basepath']}profile.z?forum={$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_token']}&userid={$this->ipsclass->member['id']}'>{ipb.lang['zt_dropdwn_myprofile']}</a>",
img_item + "<a href='{$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_basepath']}profile.z?forum={$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_token']}&userid={$this->ipsclass->member['id']}&goto=album'>{ipb.lang['zt_dropdwn_myalbum']}</a>",
img_item + "<a href='{$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_basepath']}profile.z?forum={$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_token']}&userid={$this->ipsclass->member['id']}&goto=message'>{ipb.lang['zt_dropdwn_mymessages']}</a>",
img_item + "<a href='{$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_basepath']}profile.z?cmd=update-info&forum={$this->ipsclass->cache['zoints']['zointsprofile_token']}'>{ipb.lang['zt_dropdwn_upinfo']}</a>",
"--NODIV--<div class='popupmenu-category' align='center'>{$this->ipsclass->lang['zt_dropdwn_community']}</div>",
{$this->ipsclass->member['zoints_communities']}

) );
//]]>

but in 2.2 they removed the -- in nodiv to ~~ and also they droped ipb.xxx so use $this->ipsclass->

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
nitr021 said:
maybe because of the following in the newslink template bit under board index.

HTML:
 <br /> <b>$this->ipsclass->vars['board_name']} {$this->ipsclass->lang['newslink']}</b> <i> <a href="$this->ipsclass->base_url}showtopic=$tid"> $title</a> </i>

Normally it takes the news from forum id 1, you could change it here:

ACP Home > View General Settings > News Set-up

I am pretty sure that it cache the news in ipb.cache so just go run a cache refresh. which is under maintenance in settings in the admincp
Erm, no, that's not quite it. It's only displaying one selection, not the 8 I want it too; it's only showing one.

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
PalePhoenix said:
Erm, no, that's not quite it. It's only displaying one selection, not the 8 I want it too; it's only showing one.
hmm, i don't have a working 2.2 on me, but according from the template bit it seems that it only takes one latest news from all the forums you selected and displays it there.

McAwesome

idiot
nitr021 said:
but in 2.2 they removed the -- in nodiv to ~~ and also they droped ipb.xxx so use $this->ipsclass->
Here's the bit from my ips_menu_html.js file. I believe it's correct.
Code:
var css_mainwrap     = 'popupmenu';
var css_menusep      = 'popupmenu-item';
var css_menusep_last = 'popupmenu-item-last';
snip
Code:
function menu_build_menu(cid, menuinput, complexmenu)
{
	var html = "\n<div class='" + css_mainwrap + "' id='" + cid + "_menu' style='display:none;z-index:100'>\n";
	if ( ! complexmenu )
		{
		len = parseInt(menuinput.length);
	if ( len > 0 )
		{	
	for( var i in menuinput )
		{
			t = parseInt(i) + 1;
			thisclass = ( t == len ) ? css_menusep_last : css_menusep;
	if ( menuinput[i].match( /^~~NODIV~~/ ) )
		{
			html += menuinput[i].replace( /^~~NODIV~~/, '' );
		}
	else				
		{
		html += "<div class='" + thisclass + "'>\n" + menuinput[i] + "\n</div>\n";
		}
		}
		}
		}
	else	{
		html += menuinput;
	}
	html += "\n</div>\n";

Yet the problem remains.

McAwesome

idiot
Problem resolved. I started over and did my edits more carefully. My previous css file was missing }s :gun: :bonk:

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
what to say thanks!!!
thanks.
btw: im currently writing a ipb 2.2 version. It looks pretty crammed with a lot of information, I duno if it is too much.

Oh and also its pretty cool to see that this guide is the only one out there that comes up first on google if you search on how to make skins for invision power board.
:p

Bhavesh Ramburn

Quantity Surveyor
1523 words already and aorund 4 pages on word for the guide on ipb 2.2.x. Pretty big atm.
And it only covers some basics and useful tips and nothing on how to start editing your skin yet.

stormcub

Adherent
I just wanted to say thank you for this tutorial. I've skinned previous versions of IPB, but this really helped me to get my forum looking nice. I'm still not 100% happy, but that is all due to the images NOT to the style sheets and other factors. Thank you SO much for this tutorial!

toria55

Neophyte
Is there a similar tutorial for the InvisionFree boards.

BTW, I wish I would have seen this board a week ago. The best advice I saw was to set up a test board. I've been testing on a live board which is not a good idea.