How to Import vbulletin to other software without data loss

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by BGObsession, Jan 11, 2018.

1. BGObsession

BGObsession Participant

+39
    We upgraded to vB 4.2.5/7.1 last year for security reasons. I foresee moving to one of the other forum softwares in 3-4 years. Just seems inevitable. I guess one of the worst parts about considering that inevitability is the thought of losing the entire history of a 9 year community. All those posts, threads, discussions.... I just can't imagine wiping the slate clean and starting over with thread 1, post 1. Breaks my heart even thinking about it.

You guys mention 'importers' - are there no options or vehicles whatsoever with some of the other forum softwares to bring previous content along when switching forum software? Or do I just need to accept the fact that at some point in the coming years, I'm going to be starting my community over with no history and past content accessible at all? I'm not a *tech* guy - I've just learned enough to run a vB forum :)

2. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+252
    This is off-topic for this thread but yes there are importers for most forum software that will import your threads and posts.

I think @PaulM mentioned in another thread that Xenforo doesn't import the CMS or Blogs parts of vBulletin 4.x Suite but all your forum posts from vB3 or vB4 should import fine.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,192
    I imported any data from vb3 to xenforo. Including blogs, social groups, etc. There is no need to loose data.

4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,980
    Some companies provide official migration services if their importer is lacking or difficult to handle. Many freelancers can also handle this for you cheaper.

If you're worried about handling migration yourself, paying someone experienced will prevent data loss and get it done to your satisfaction. Peace of mind is priceless...

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,807
    All with the official XF importer or did you pay for some other importer?

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,192
    I have a bunch of importers which were created for my big board. These are reusable though.
    But take blogs for example. There is a vbulletin blog to threads importer available. So it can be imported and there is no need to loose data.
    I however had two importers developed to import the vb blogs into Article Management System and threads into User Blog System.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted