How to get ideas for topics every single day?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by mrb1129, Nov 26, 2017.

1. mrb1129

mrb1129 Aspirant

+0
    If you are running a forum then you have to create more and more content each and every single day. How do you guys do so? How do you guys get the ideas? Share your opinions.

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,116
    What you want is topics that will get your members talking. Even if it isn’t 100% on topic. Just get members talking and keep them talking

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+741
    Agree with JoeychgoJoeychgo.

You have to pull members in or you'll burnout quickly.

Some light controversy, questions you already know the answer to, asking for opinions, asking people to explain why you're wrong about a belief, "do you believe"... Etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,837
    One way that seems to work well is discussing topic ideas internally, and anyone more informed in or interested in creating the topic can coordinate its creation.

The idea is that not everyone can both find good ideas for topics and create them (often because theyre just not confident how to write them). This system is supposed to make sure a diverse amount of topic ideas exist that staff can pick and develop.

5. LordnMaster

LordnMaster Aspirant

+44
    I have always believed that if you have to drive your site in order to keep people talking, your forum niche of choice is not nearly as interesting. But in the case of the OP, if you, yourself cannot even think of a topic, you have clearly chosen the wrong niche.

6. LeadCrow

+1,837
    Users eventually run out of things to discuss, and only so many variations can be developed.

Bringing in new contributors helps overcome this block since you can essentially restart existing discussions with a fresh set of participants and perspectives.

7. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

+52
    Google is my best friend. I’m constantly googling thread ideas, and that’s how I found this site :noppid:

8. mrb1129

mrb1129 Aspirant

+0
    I didn't ask about how I can keep my members engaged? I ask about how you guys generate new ideas for new topic.

9. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+952
    I think creating new threads with fresh topics of discussion and keeping your members engaged are very closely related. After all, one of the main reasons virtually all of us want new topics to discuss is to maintain community engagement.

I would wager that most people coming up with new topic ideas aren't sitting down with the sole intention of finding new topics; this is likely a consequence of being truly interested in the niche and constantly thinking about and researching developments in their respective niches. Such activity will naturally lead to new insights and new angles on old insights, leading to new topics to discuss.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  10. LeadCrow

+1,837
    Create variations of topics from your forum and other sites.

A 'news watch' also gives you a steady stream of recent trending topics worth discussing. If that discussion needs to happen, better have it on your site than users going to where they will find it. That may include dividise topics like politics, but users almost never run of commentary and criticism to share.

11. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+186
    Agreed, we do the same. Not only threads and posts about what the site in itself is about, but also hot topics such as debates and topics that we know can trigger impulsive responses from others - whilst highlighting that flaming etc isn't going to help anyone, but encouraging debating and so on.
    Grit. Everyone needs some grit in their lives.. something juicy every day/other to get people stuck into. Hot topics that touch the nerves are prone to doing this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. skrinkle

skrinkle Cat Mom

+52
    Something I've been doing in the last couple of days.. our forum started up over a decade ago and when I run out of good ideas I just spend time going through forum pages from different years and recycling thread topics. I spent 4 hours last night going through old threads lol, but I came out with five or so ideas and they seem to be getting replies :noppid:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted