How to create a custom Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for my forum?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by mrb1129, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mrb1129

mrb1129 Aspirant

+1
    How to create a custom Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for my forum? Anybody any advices!!

2. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+175
    Usually easier to start with the default one and "tweak" it accordingly to fit in with your own needs.

3. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+11
    The document that your future member is likely to see from the management that serves as a first impression is obviously a biggie. Get it right, with regard to grammar, punctuation, and spelling. You might consider vocabulary usage changes to suit the target human-types, but that grammar, punctuation, and spelling is the big banner you are waving in front of that future new member and that should be as perfect as can be.

Yes, "perfect" can be modified in that sense. Even professors argue on points of grammar.

And I slipped in some examples of vocabulary usage above to show you what I meant there.

Use of "biggie" would be frowned upon, unless it were to be some appropriate type of site.

Use of "human-type" would be frowned upon by almost any site. And to those looking deeper, there is also an example of whether the grammar is correct: that hyphen in human-type.

And, yep, I placed that under grammar, not punctuation.

But no need, mrb1129, to get all too weird like I do, but try and leave out mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+878
    It isn't that difficult to create those two documents. Although you can start with the boilerplate that comes with the software, it's better to create something that actually reflects your site policies.

Start by writing down exactly what your privacy policy and your terms of use are. Some things to capture include who the policy is for and why. Then figure out how you'll make them work. A policy is useless unless you have some process in place to execute it. Be sure to note any exceptions to the policy.

Once you've got everything figured out and noted, you can write your documents.You probably aren't a lawyer, so don't try to imitate legalese. Keep it simple, using simple language. It's easier to write and easier for your members to understand.

5. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+148
    Mine was written by the founding committee that pushed my effort to go ahead with my community. I only made ONE adjustment. It wasn’t asshat but a slightly different word use in what they submitted to me. But they agreed my change was better. I do have the boilerplate attached to the bottom to cover myself.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.