How to better style my overall forum theme

Discussion in 'Community Styling' started by stylusss, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stylusss

stylusss Neophyte

+1
    I'm looking for opinions on how to style my forum.

https://biology-forums.com

If you could be critical of the layout, it would really help me out a lot. Feel free to register to get a better feel for the user interface. This is not a spam post, I'm not here to increase viewership, etc.

Thanks

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,439
    Your theme looks OK, possibly a little dated but the layout from an unregistered guest view is not good at all. Setting aside the broken ad and formatting, I would probably get rid of the side bar on thread pages. There's so much going on it draws your eye away from the important stuff, your content.

layout.jpg

3. Lal

Lal Neophyte

+4
    Looks great. Love the icons!
    The only flaw I see on my iPhone is the drop off of the right side on bottom half of main page-
    Here's what I mean

ai.imgur.com_eXZBkO6.jpg

4. stylusss

stylusss Neophyte

+1
    I fixed the problem. What are your thoughts on the desktop version?

5. Dee Johnson

Dee Johnson Aspirant

+4
    The desktop version looks great!! ..just checked it out! Love the icons. Great job, you should be proud of yourself! Love it!!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. stylusss

stylusss Neophyte

+1
    Thanks for the ego boost!

zappaDPJzappaDPJ

What gives you the impression that the website looks dated? One issue that I've always had with the theme is the gray background. Perhaps if I changed it to white, it'd appear more modern, welcoming.

I think the blocked ad makes the topic appear broken. If you could elaborate on what I can do to make it look nicer overall, apart from the sidebar, I'm all eyes (and ears) lol. In terms of the sidebar, I don't a bit of clutter. However, I'm still open to changing any eye sores you see that I don't.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,439
    That combination of colour choice with gradients plus corner radii (I think that's the correct term!) has been used a lot in the past. Modern designs tend to lean towards flatter, squarer imaging. I do agree more white as a background is definitely worth a try.

It didn't occur to me that the browser I used (Opera) to view your site contains a built in ad-blocker, that explains a lot which help me diagnose an issue on another site! :) I personally think the clutter to content ratio is too high in favour of clutter. Here's another screen shot, this time using Edge, view port size 1920x1080. There's a lot going on but not much content on view. I suppose my question would be, is there enough functionality present within the cutter to justify so much of it or does it detract from the content.

Obviously my opinion might be at odds with the other 99.9% of the Internet but I always feel less is more when it comes to style and (user) function.

bio.jpg

8. stylusss

stylusss Neophyte

+1
  9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,439
    Subtle changes but a big improvement I think. It's much more in keeping with modern standards :)

10. stylusss

stylusss Neophyte

+1
    Is it fine if I use this thread to update TAZ about new changes I make?

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,439
    Of course. It benefits all of us to see and hear how admins and owners have tried to improve their forums :)