How powerful is the IPS Databases system for building Movie/Product overviews?

Discussion in 'IPS' started by Alfa1, May 27, 2018.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,456
    IPS databases has noting to do with server databases, but is a powerful system to create overviews.

In IPB3 IP.Databases was very powerful. It was one of the things I liked most about IPB. It allowed you to build an overview of Items. For example a product database, a movie database, etc.You could build your own IMDB.
    Each database has categories. For example if you have a movie database, then you would have categories for :
    • movies
    • actors
    • directors
    • producers
    • studios
    In each category members can post records.
    For example add a new movie to the category 'movies'.
    Or a new actor to the category 'actors'

Records can be set to wiki mode so anyone can edit.

Each record has custom fields defined by the admin.
    Now here it becomes very interesting, as these fields are very advanced.

Relational Fields:
    If you have a movie added then you can add actors to that movie, which are pulled from the actor records. if you then go to the actor you will see the movie listed on the actor record. this amazing feature integrated the whole thing.
    reciprocal_linking.jpg.b88ced2fe2c619809aec9afcb9d8b5f7.jpg

IIRC there were a bunch of other fields, like conditional fields, calculated Fields. But I cant find what fields there were and what each did.

IIRC this allowed you to add content types to a record. For example you could setup a form with custom fields so that members could submit that to the record. Matt MMatt M please correct me here as I am sure there was more to it.

In IPS4 Databases was overhauled. I am not sure how powerful it is and what the possibilities are. I am hoping that IPS staff can add information to this thread to expand on it.

What are the possibilities of IPS4 databases?
    What field types are there?
    Is it possible to add subrecords?

There seems to be only little information on the IPS website about this vast topic:
    https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/core-concepts/databases-part-i-r152/
    https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/suite-applications/pages/building-a-recipe-section_360/
    https://invisioncommunity.com/news/...ent-23-dev-update-improved-relational-fields/ (old)

Matt MMatt M recently posted this video:

Here are a few examples:
    https://thepipestand.com/business/
    https://typography.guru/term/

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
    I always got the idea that IPB3 database was more powerfull then IPS4. That said IPS4 is more user friendly then the previous version. I would love to see more complicated databases created by Matt MMatt M i think we just scratched the surface.

3. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+51
    Actually IPS Databases are just as powerful as before. It really depends on what you want to do with it. For fields there are a lot:
    Address, checkbox, checkbox set, code, date, editor, email, database relationship, member, number, password, radio, select box, soundcloud, spotify, telephone number, text field, text area, upload, url, yes/no, Youtube.

You can set conditionals in the display field or you can make fully customized templates. You can also make php blocks that pull data from the databases, if you need more powerful items that is. I know people that have made systems that would take a custom programmer to make an app for using pages and php. Specifically they made a Hogwarts house points system that auto-updates the header with the current house points from the database, she also made a timeline based item with it.

I use it for directories. I personally have gone category-less with my items and use filters instead. I have a few things that are only available to my subscribers, like custom header backgrounds. I also use it as a staff incentive which is achieved by doing their job and shown based on those conditionals. I mean really you can do just about anything with it it just depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+535
  5. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+238
    It's pretty much as powerful as it was in 3.

Is there anything you'd like to see specifically?

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
    Well speaking for myself i would like to see what you can do with if you alter the templates or want to use your own templates. Also what can you do with the database key. What can you do with the options you said that it would be handled in the next video i would like to know more. Content editor use page builder or manual what would it take to do it manual. How do you export what you created and does it cover it all you made. IP.Pages might be powerful but i think if people knew how powerful it would be talked about more. Can custom fields be placed anywhere on screen for example.

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
    I forgot and this is a big issue in most CMS can something exists in category A an B without copying.

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,456
    Lets sat you have a database of fish, with an entry for each fish species.The entry would show many specifications for the fish species.
    And also entries for reeftanks. The entry would show many specifications for the reef-tank.
    1. Then members want to submit their experience with fish X in reef-tank Y. Can the experiences be visible on both the fish entry as the reeftank entry?
    2. The experience form has custom fields. One of the fields is for numbers. For example for fish length in cm. Can you calculate the average of value of that field so that we can calculate the average length of fish X?
    3. If yes, can we display this average on the entry of Fish X?
    4. Lets say we want to add another form with custom fields, so that users can also submit their experience with maintenance of reeftank Y. This 2nd experience form is unrelated to the other one and needs to be separate. Is it possible to do this?
    5. Is it possible to use likert scales (radio buttons for values) and measure averages?
    6. If we have a date field for when the fish was born, then can we automatically calculate the age of the fish? i.e. submission date minus date field value is age. or alternatively: have 2 date fields and calculate the time inbetween.
    Could you show what the possibilities are in this regard?

9. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+238
    Ok... let me take a stab at this.

Set up a database for "Tanks"
    - Switch on Reviews

Set up a database for "Fish"
    - Custom form field: Length in millimetres
    - Custom form field: Fish purchased/born date
    - Custom form field: Relational to Tanks database

You can populate the Tanks database with popular makes (that you sell?)
    - Users can review them (complete with 5 star rating system)

Your users will post into "Fish" detailing which fish they have. They can use the relational field to link the fish to a particular tank model.

The custom form fields are shown on the new record form.

You will need a custom template, and a little PHP logic to calculate the average value, but it's very possible.

Total build time? Probably a few hours max.

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
  11. Matt M

Matt M Developer

+238
    I did, but I didn't explain how.

The relational field can be used to link records together, so you can in a way show in the Fish record, the tank you're using. And on the Tank record, it will show all the fish that are using the tank.

I'll put together a demo in a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+535
    Templates are one of the most underrated features of IP.Pages, which is the most underrated application in the IPS suite :notworthy:. IPS comes with several stock templates; you can design your own templates; or you can import / export templates. For example, opentype has a whole series of IP.Page templates for purchase in the Marketplace that are quite nice, and you can use them to immediately change the look-and-feel of your database.

01frontpage.jpg.0168ab37dc310a582fd6e1b5a66bf1b9.jpg

03record.jpg.fcde08eb820d8856865d90697be3de2f.jpg
    The SuperGrid templates come bundled with templates at all levels.

When you use templates, you assign to the category view, listing view, and record view. This allows you to customize the look at each level. If you want to be fancy, you can actually skip over the category view and show the listing view directly. This allows you to build an index of quotations or recipes where you don't care about categories.

listing.jpg.8d41bd5724678b236a8a4371e0038922.jpg

The above examples show templates for databases. You can also design templates for blocks and pages, which are other ways to customize your IPS community and build a knowledge base and repository around your community.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+535
    2018-05-31-20-17-demo.adonismale.com.png
    Screenshot of Templates in IPS 4.3.3 Admin Control Panel
    Couple of things to point out:
    1. Located in ACP > Pages > Page Management - Templates
    2. In top right, you can see how you can export / import templates
    3. You can create New templates, and view them in the list. There are templates for Databases, Pages, and Blocks. Within databases, you can create templates for Category view, Listing view, and Record view.
    4. Notice the M / C for Modified or Custom. You'll see a small tag next to templates that have been edited.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+535
    Here's an IP.Pages database that a friend built:

https://community.barrheadtravel.co.uk/cruise-reviews/

A couple of highlights of the IP.Pages database:
    1. Ship reviews are records in the database
    2. Database index page shows most recent records using a basic one column template. Some custom blocks on the side
    3. Records include custom fields like Destination, Sailing Date, Cabin Type, Deck, etc.

2018-06-01-21-18-community.barrheadtravel.co.uk.png

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  15. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+51
    This is my directory:
    upload_2018-6-3_23-37-8.png

The cover photo is choose-able from a drop down however if you are a subscriber (what we call a patron) you can upload a custom cover photo that is removed based on the whether they are still a subscriber.When I say removed it just doesn't show up. If they re-subscribe it comes back without re-uploading.

This is the display template:
    upload_2018-6-3_23-39-10.png

It gets longer depending on the person etc.

You can see the full template here:
    https://rpginitiative.com/directory

I'm actually currently working my other databases and updating them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,456
    This would be great to see.

17. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
    Agree.

18. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+602
    Forgive the idiot question from the crowd - which part of IPS do you have to have to play around with this?

19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,812
    IP.Pages

20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+2,456
    It has been 2 weeks. If you can find the time to do so then this would be nice.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.