How old?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Shawn G, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    Hey all,

I am curious about something, how old were all of you when you first got into the forum management world?

2. micah sin

micah sin Banned

+3
    17 :D
    i've only been in this about 8 months and i've grown so much :)

Forumotion for 4 months, then a brief affair with mybb, a nightmare quickie with phpbb(all of an hour), married to SMF & ipb and i have just recently began diving into the Xenforo & Vbulletin world of things.

I am pleased with the tools and sites likes this one that have allowed me to learn so much and even pass on what i do know to other people who want to make their own communities as well.

3. Hoodie

Hoodie Fan

+0
    Well, I wanna say it was when I was 16 years old starting on YABB SE.. 10 years doing this.. Thinking of this question actually just put it into perspective..

4. famade

famade Neophyte

+2
    10 years ago? In 2002, YaBB, phpBB and vBulletin were alive and well by then. heh. Heck, 10 years ago is only a year before SMF and MyBB were started.

I first got into *management* in 2006 though I'd been on forums for years before that and even running sites for years before that, heh. And I'm 28, and I feel thoroughly old and entrenched in the ways of things and hard to think differently.

5. Brentnauer

Brentnauer Enthusiast

+23
    I was probably in 7th grade when I set up my first N64 codes site on Geocities, but my first really community experience was a couple years later when I discovered Blackout's Box - I had a lot of fun being a 15 year old troll among trolls... After that I had several small communities over the years and one really good one. Took a break for a few years afterwards and now I'm getting back in the game :p

6. ARG_aaf

ARG_aaf Devotee

+110
    Way back when YaBB was fairly new. However I was not very active until SMF evolved. ;)

7. PinoyFused

PinoyFused Aspirant

+2
    When I was 17 years of age, managing my first forum under ucoz.com is quite hard. It should be under MyBB but since im not familiar in the installation process it gives me a hard time.

8. razelia

razelia Participant

+0
    Woah, is this, like, our actual age.

Hrmm, well, I opened up my first forum (along with my first website) when I was in 4th year of high school... so that would be when I was 16. Up to this date, it's my most successful and active site and community. I'm currently 21. so it's been running for 5 years now.

9. Atlaerom

Atlaerom Aspirant

+0
    Would you believe I was 15 when I began my first forum, which I ran for 2 years on InvisionFree. :p
    I'm 23 now...

10. Hoodie

Hoodie Fan

+0
    10 years ago? In 2002, YaBB, phpBB and vBulletin were alive and well by then. heh. Heck, 10 years ago is only a year before SMF and MyBB were started.

Thinking about it a bit more I actually started on YaBB, not SE.. I don't actually think that I used SE at all.. I was a bit confused.. I took a hiatus and came back to SMF in 2005 and have been with them ever since..

11. famade

famade Neophyte

+2
    You'd probably know the difference, YaBB was written in Perl, YaBBSE in PHP.

12. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+130
    It was exactly 10 years ago, so I was 23. I never saw age as an issue, knew people who were way younger or older than I was. It;s been a long run for me and I got to learn a lot.

13. Shawn G

Shawn G Tazmanian Addict

+232
    Would you believe I was 15 when I began my first forum, which I ran for 2 years on InvisionFree. :p
    I'm 23 now...

I was 13 :p I am 27 now ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.