How often do you review staff?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by Steve, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,006
    Many people go offline or stop visiting for whatever reasons which leaves staff positions dormant. While the reasons are generally not known some do mention they won't be around for *insert time*. During these times do you review their participation and attendance, if so when is it appropriate for a demotion?

Also that brings me to another thought. How do you handle demoting a staff member that isn't being productive?

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,482
    When I take on staff, there are generally specific things we discuss beforehand. One of them are the expectations I have. Staff are hired for different things, so assuming we're talking about day to day moderation and posting for this particular question, then I'll let a few weeks go by without activity, so long as they're still visiting - sometimes there's just not that much to do.

If they don't visit for a month and haven't put something in the staff area about holidays or suchlike, I'll drop them a message just to check in and make sure everything is okay.

If, at the most, three months go by with nothing, then I send them a message saying I've removed their staff access.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    I was going to call you into my office today for your annual review Steve, I've got to say, a demotion was on the cards.

Then I saw you managed to post three new threads to try and stir up conversation and get people talking.

I like that, shows initiative, you're going places kid.

I'm pleased to inform you that you've passed this year's review and can stay on board.

Keep up the good work!

/Staff Review

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    I don't really recall having to demote too many members that I've promoted. I have had a number of people ask to be stood down for various reasons and a couple who have died.

I guess I've been lucky but then again I am very careful who I promote and before I do it I always remind myself it's easy enough to promote someone but taking away any position of power no matter how minor can be a nightmare.

I don't really do staff reviews but I do have fairly regular staff meetings which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+788
    How do you host your staff meetings? Voice, video, in person?

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,060
    Generally via voice comms although Skype and WhatsApp sometimes get used but I far prefer voice comms.

7. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,073
    Interesting topic, and I've run into this before and asked for thoughts on TAZ.

I've learned the hard way 2 things go a long way towards helping this:
    1. Set measurable activity expectations up-front. ie: "be active" is meaningless. What's better is something like "3 activities per month. Activity includes: posts, profile comments, gallery submissions, or moderator work" is measurable and can be pointed to in later conversations.
    2. Start the conversation, don't sit on it. "Hey, noticed you haven't been around much. Hope all is well. Let us know if you're still interested in being active. Otherwise we'll move you back to the member role."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. LordAtropa

LordAtropa Aspirant

+5
    Usually, I don't handle reviews during school months. I leave that task to the Manager of whatever platform - Discord, forum, game server, etc.

9. Greg Spinks

Greg Spinks Aspirant

+2
    Just be honest. The best way is to outline your position from the start. In order to run a clean and lean community, you need to keep up. Family and life happens, but if months and months go by.. That's a different story.

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,105
    Give them another role without permissions unsafe to have, perhaps not even on the forum. Some people are just more suited to writing, video editing and handling social media so you dont have to.
    Not quite the demotion, but the entry process criterias are thourough enough you're durably part of contributors and periods of decreasing activity is fine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.