How much should MyBB custom themes sell for

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by OptimusVault, Sep 13, 2015.

1. OptimusVault

OptimusVault Participant

+10
    The question is in the subject :)

2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    That would all depend on the quality. Anywhere from a few dollars to a few hundred.

3. JadeBlade

JadeBlade Adherent

+69
    In most cases though that some people have used MyBB because of the free price tag, so I can't see anything over $75 that's not custom made selling well.

4. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    Depends on how much you think it's actual worth is, assuming you're the author. I could slap a re-color of the default theme and release it as a free download, or I could actually put effort into going responsive, integration of various UI helpers in the form of JS tooltips or validations, etc. and release it as $50-ish. Anything above $75 would be overpriced though.

5. OptimusVault

OptimusVault Participant

+10
    I reckon around $20, $30 if the author is willing to work with the client.

6. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    For a totally custom theme from scratch, you're looking over $100. I've had a few done by various people (including Audentio) and have paid $300 for some with high levels of customisation.

7. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,322
    $50 - $75 - $100 for a complete custom theme????
    Am I reading these replies and mistranslating them in my brain? Are you guys smoking crack or do you just not value a designers' time, effort and creativity??? :cautious:

J.

8. Liam

Liam Developer

+107
    My reply was for a pre-made theme :p Of course a custom design would be waaaaaaaay more than that lol

9. PoetJC

+5,322
    Ah okay. Yeah - for a premade $50 sounds fine. Probably even a bit expensive tbh.
    But when you think about creating a premade theme and selling it for $50 --- 10 people purchase it - you've made $500 - which is a decent medium price for a complete custom theme. 20 people purchase it and you've made $1000 ..... And that will have been well worth your time & creativity. So you can see my concern about a complete custom theme going for $50-$100 --- It'd generally not be worth the designers' time.

However, CUSTOMIZING a premade theme for $100 might be more appropriate, depending on the amount of customization of course.
    Anyway - thanks for the clarification. Makes sense now :p

J.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Network

Network Aspirant

+19
    Pre-made themes should be offered at around $15-$15 and custom themes for $100+.

11. Alycium

Alycium Aspirant

+7
    Depending on the quality. I personally would be willing to spend up to $150+ for a well made theme.

12. Gamesstop

Gamesstop PrismBB - Free & Premium MyBB Themes

+36
    Best reply I've ever read. XD

13. DonCoryon

DonCoryon Aspirant

+2
    Back in my theming days I would charge around $300 for modified Drupal themes. I charged $100 an hour. I made some free templates and put them up on Drupal's site and got clients that way.

14. PoetJC

+5,322
    $100 an hour? And you got many clients charging that price?
    Must be nice :D

J.

15. FamousTAZ

FamousTAZ Aspirant

+4
    I do them for $20 with full customer support and 1 week support with the theme as well as installation. I do not do amazingly advanced themes but I do nice clean custom themes.

16. Mount Zion

Mount Zion Aspirant

+5
    If it's exclusive use, maybe $100-200 depending on time placed on the project. If it's a public theme for anyone to download provided they pay a fee, around $20 seems fair.

17. Okoji

Okoji Participant

+3
    It depends. I feel it should not be more than $50 I might be very wrong!

18. Senpie

Senpie Aspirant

+7
    $50 or less, depending if any features specifically are implemented into the theme.

19. PinoyFused

PinoyFused Aspirant

+2
    I knew one site that sales $15 and its very fine and responsive.

PS: its on sale now for $10. http://netpen.info just find the "premium" button in menu.

They also have free theme that can compete to the latest premium themes these days.

I'm using it now. the premium one. ^_^

20. Jason76

Jason76 Aspirant

+8
    A totally custom theme would of course be a lot. But a custom theme that would be resold to many people would be more than 20. I think around 100 would be fair. I would also say this should be the price for other forum software also like XenForo or phpBB.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.