How much is my forum worth?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Xtreme2damax, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Adherent

+3
    I am looking for estimates from anyone who has bought communities in the past. I am not selling my domain or community, but I am however looking for estimates just in case I decide to sell down the road..

My domain has a Page Rank of 4, and Alexa rank of 194,075.

I see between 2,000,000 - 3,000,000 hits a month, this month alone I've seen 3,129,121 hits, 24,822 unique visitors, and number of visits is 35742 based on Advanced web statistics.

Ad revenue is nothing miraculous but is steadily improving little by little.

I need estimates from those who have purchased full websites or domains in the past, website calculators are quite inaccurate.

2. ItalianHawk

ItalianHawk Aspirant

+0
    Ad revenue is something you'd want to make clear. If you don't share how much the site currently makes, it won't be taken into consideration and your site will be devalued. Also, it's pretty hard for us to make estimates without an actual link unless we are to assume it's the one in your sig. The niche of the forum makes a difference.

Based on a lack of information, I won't even bother to make an estimate as to what I'd pay.

3. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Adherent

+3
    Yeah it's the one in my signature: http://www.xtemu.com/forum/portal.html

I didn't include ad revenue because it's quite low, I get anywhere between 20 - 80 cents per day and have made about $60 - $70 in the past 8 -10 months in revenue, so you can see why I didn't mention it..

I am just looking for estimates based on stats and other factors including paid software and the content. I'm not considering to sell it, at least right now I'm not. I just wanted some estimates since I find these online website calculators to be grossly inaccurate.

4. vlauria

vlauria Adherent

+8
    The most valuable stats for somebody looking to acquire a site would be:

- how many unique people per month
    - how often do they return
    - how many pages per visit (or time on site)
    - what is the topic of the community (is it a market that money can be made from and is it a growing market?)
    - how good is the SEO of the site (for the ability to bring in new traffic)
    - what is the current ad rev
    - what are the current costs

Having all that info would help put a price on your property. Google Analytics can provide many of those numbers.

5. Syphon

Syphon Adherent

+1
    Hmmm hard to really say. I would say under $500 based off what has ben provided.

One question, your are saying you are getting 2 to 3 million in hits, are you meaning pageviews or hits? If you are getting that may page views, you should be making WAY more than you are in advertisements. On a low performing month with around 400,000 pageviews, I will make 80-100 dollars.

Some stat software will pull count every image, html file, css file, etc. that loads as a hit. This means that each pageload can be generating as many as 40 or more hits each time.

Based off your design, level of activity on your site, ad revenue, traffic, content, niche, etc. I estimate that anything over 500 dollars would be a bad investment. When someone looks to purchase a forum, they look at being able to recoupe the costs via any revenue streams they can get (ads normally) within 1 year. On the high end of what you have done in the past 8 months, your going to end up with $120 dollars in revenue for 12 months. If that is true, I can't see anything over 250 being decent.

Just a note, this is just my opinion. You may find someone who has plans for teh site. For example someone who has a blog or website about the same subject as you, may be willing to pay more for the site to add has part of their site.

6. bluesky

bluesky Adherent

+6
    Some tools have been introduced by webmasters which evaluate the estimated value of the websites and they are not that accurate though. The main point regarding cash building potentials of the websites is how much traffic they have on a daily basis.

7. Rockatteer

Rockatteer Devotee

+67
  8. RobHall

RobHall Participant

+0
    Anyone who is going to be buying a business will base it majorly on your profits. You need to be absolutely clear on what they are and then try and focus on why it's not higher etc, that should allow people to make an informed decision on the reality + potential + risk :)

9. Elochai

Elochai Participant

+1
    That site says my site is worth a whopping $1,000. I'd be lucky if I got $100.

10. ed146

ed146 Aspirant

+0
    Test the water and see how much people are willing to pay for your site at flippa.com. That way, you know what the current market is offering.

11. Rizz

Rizz Neophyte

+0
  12. TheLeader

TheLeader Aspirant

+0
    The value in any business proposition is its income and generally I would pay 4 times annual profit to buy something!

13. shakir

shakir Enthusiast

+0
    Wow too much traffic, sure can earn too much by placing adds.. any how normally calculating sites price by one year income + site nature. ie ..1 year income +5-10k

14. roderickmurphy11

roderickmurphy11 Neophyte

+0
    Your forum domain worth depends on what type of forum you have. Means what categories you have. if you have SEO forum so its worth lots. If you have general forum then its cost to low. tell me what categories do you have.

15. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Aspirant

+0
    Howv much do you earn usualy monthly revenue x 10-24

It counts also how strong the community is ...

16. BHH

BHH Enthusiast

+3
    I buy and sell websites. From the stats you provided, the site will go for around 3-5k, but visiting your signature tells me that you're site in indeed worth around 1k

17. Francisck

Francisck Francisco

+8
    How do you figure? looking at his website with currently around 4k members, he is getting his members to post 1 once a day, today 3 members posted once (1) each and he as the administrator made 6 posts.

18. Marc Smith

Marc Smith The Old Geezer

+14
    - what is the current ad rev
    - what are the current costs

Those are the only 2 that I care about, and current costs must include maintenance aspects. People email needing help with anything from password problems to registration problems. Software upgrades, daily backups, keeping spam out, settling problems/disputes, and other things take someone's time. A heavy maintenance load can easily cost more than gross income. Forums are quite different than a typical web site.

I would also want access to Google Analytics information, AWStats info (or other log analysis software info), Quantcast direct measurement info and/or server logs to get an idea about site traffic.

To me a web site is worth from 1 to 4 times its net annual income and I wouldn't even consider a site less than 2 years old.

19. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Adherent

+3
    I was sick with a bad cold, head cold, and sinus problems at that time. I usually make at least 15 - 25+ posts per day. It has been a struggle to encourage others to be active even my own staff, but that is due to bad practices inherited from elsewhere that led to lack of activity and contributions. Also some of these members are from a larger more active community, this also causes lack of activity since they tend to be more active there than at my community.

I've made the decision not to sell, but stats and ad revenue aren't anything impressive, site is hosted on a shared server so hosting costs are quite low for right now. A lot of maintenance, time, and money has gone into the community but other than money spent I don't see a reason why maintenance and time should be equated into the overall worth of the community.

20. Marc Smith

Marc Smith The Old Geezer

+14
    It takes time.

If I'm buying a forum I know hosting costs will be a very small part. The time spent to maintain it is a significant factor. It is a measure of the 'worth' of a community because it costs me either my time, or to pay someone else, to maintain order, maintain software and many other things. This is less of an issue with a tiny forum, but as soon as you hit 100,000 visitors a month a forum doesn't run its self. When you hit 250,000 there's even more maintenance. Etc. I put a lot of my time into my forums interacting, as well. That is part of the recipe for long term success.

Maybe time for maintenance, etc. isn't significant to you, but to me it is the most expensive part of keeping a web property online and growing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.