How many of you would promote a user to the rank of admin?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by MarkFL, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+864
    Hello TAZ Community! :wave:

On the site I call home, I initially joined as a regular user and over time was promoted up through the ranks, and eventually invited to join the admin team. I had never seen that done before, so I figured it's kind of rare.

Since then, I have come to see it's not quite as rare as I once thought, but still not the norm. It seems most sites have one or more admins at conception, and if another is added, they are brought from elsewhere because they already have some kind of administrative or technical expertise and generally don't stick around once the job they came to do is done.

So, what I'm wondering is how many of you would promote a user from you community who began as a regular user, all the way up to the rank of admin?

2. Matt C.

Matt C. Gaming Fanatic

+88
    I'd have to know the user pretty well. He/she would have to frequent the forums and we'd have to develop some sort of relationship before that would happen.

3. MarkFL

+864
    I certainly agree with that...at the time I was promoted, I had been active on a daily basis for a couple of years and was a global/super moderator. I had the greatest number of posts too. The site owner knew I was fully invested in the success of the site. :)

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,097
    On TAZ it's happened a few times... but of course all of them were admins on their own sites which changes things somewhat. :)

5. MarkFL

+864
    Yes, at least you know they know what being an admin is all about, but it still takes some trust to do that. When it works out though, you know that the person you've brought on board is interested in furthering the site's mission because you've already seen them contributing to the site consistently and positively for a good length of time. :)

6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,562
    I dont think its that rare, thats how I became one on every site I have ever been an administrator (6+) I have never started a forum from scratch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. MarkFL

+864
    Were you primarily brought on as an admin by invitation (right from the start) because of your reputation/expertise (they chose you), or have there been any cases where you were promoted to that position on a site you joined out of interest (you chose them) where they perhaps weren't aware of your skillset?

8. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,562
    Thinking back, I have joined 1 site directly as an admin, which I wasnt counting above.

In all other cases I was already a member of the site, and became a moderator first, admin later.

vBulletin.com is probably a slight oddity.
    I became a moderator when I joined as a developer, and later administrator when I took over the technical running of the site.

9. Xiammes

Xiammes Aspirant

+15
    Our forum administrative team is almost entirely built upon users being promoted to admin. This is mainly due to the "hands off" nature the actual site owner and server owner play. They need people to handle the day to day, month to month, year to year community management they don't like to do. The only "super adminstrators" are the owners, the admins are just assigned a power set and anytime we need a new one its like playing the lottery on what powers they will get.

10. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+84
    Depends... I have done it before plenty of times and have never had an issue with it. One site I am on at the moment we have 7 Admin, and I am the 2nd or 3rd longest serving. Everyone is pretty well trusted, I own the domain name otherwise the forum is hosted somewhere else but everyone has full access to it if needed. Site has been going for maybe 6 years, we only have about 200 members so pretty consistent. Its a gaming clan site.

It has worked remarkably well, there has only been one instance of someone stealing money from the shared paypal account that we use to get donations which usually has $300+ sitting in it at any one time.

I guess when you speak with people on team speak and get to know them then its all good, plus we are all mates on facebook so know each others real names etc.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT

Too many times I have heard of it turning to crap when you give someone more access and they there is a disagreement about something, it can wreck a forum and I have heard it happening countless times..

Also the website I am referring to earlier, we are all 35+ age bracket pretty much, there is a level of maturity there..

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    As far as I recall all my moderators and admins have been appointed by invitation from the forum membership. Moderators are chosen from members that are effectively doing the job without the tools i.e. they are long standing, active, courteous to other members and quick to spot and report problems. Admins are chosen from moderators that have demonstrated some degree of technical knowledge.

So far that process has worked well and it's saved me from advertising, something I'd prefer to avoid.

12. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,189
    I've always promoted from within :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  13. Guinevere

Guinevere Neophyte

+9
    I was the same as you OP! I joined about seven or eight years ago as a regular member; was asked to be a moderator, then Global mod and have now inherited the site (along with a couple of other lovely ladies). It's changed hands a few times, you should have seen the server when I first got in there - looked like someone had thrown the entire contents of their house into a pile in one room. Haha.

14. Optimistologist

Optimistologist Neophyte

+1
    It is always best to reward your most active users. But when it comes to giving them the admin position, you need to see their history on the forum and how others react to him/her. If users are comfortable interacting with this person and this person can communicate with clarity, authority and swiftness, then you have found a good admin. Don't lose the opportunity to have him/her as your forum admin.

15. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+691
    If you go by the recruitment section here on TAZ, you'll easily answer this question.

Everyone just recruits their very first members as mods and admins :ROFLMAO:

16. H-DB

H-DB Participant

+62
    Moderators - I have promoted from within. But they can’t see IP addresses or emails of other members and they cannot permanently delete posts/threads.They can’t ban or vacation members. Since I run a motorcycle forum they are added based on their expertise on motorcycles. They are respected subject matter experts not babysitters.

Admin - Only I have that position. No one else will ever have Forum Admin or Server Admin privilege on my forum. In 4 years of running my forum I have never had to ban or vacation any member because we treat people with respect. I used to be a Moderator on a 60,000 member HD forum that banned people daily. That forum’s staff had a high opinion of themselves and a lack of respect for the reason they were there... the members.

17. Jaybo

Jaybo Aspirant

+7
    I once promoted a member to moderator and later to an admin and that will be the last time. She was very popular and being the center of attention went to her head....things got very clicky and she started getting really frisky with the male members of the forum. It was difficult to undo without things getting ugly. You want to tell the members why their favorite person got canned but you cant.

18. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+487
    Like H-DBH-DB there is only one admin on my forum. However, I have promoted members to moderators with no regrets. I would never do it based on a member's popularity or post count. Rather I look for someone who knows the subject matter well, has no feelings of entitlement or ownership of the forum or content, and can handle situations in a calm, detached manner.

19. Jaybo

Jaybo Aspirant

+7
    I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best tech admin on the planet, several of whom are TAZ staff. One in particular came on board and helped me beyond measure when I was super stressed out and really needed the help. You know who you are and I thank you!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM
  20. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,422
    I'll promote to supermods and mods, but not to admin. I've had some bad experiences in the past*, and it's much harder to demote an admin without creating a ruckus.

* Problems such as:
    Thought the success of the board was due to them, and publicly stated it.
    Got very nit-picky with the rules (more than I was at the time before I learned to chill out) and were temp banning lots of people.
    Used their admin status to stifle disagreement in social/political threads.
    Those who didn't understand some admin functions and screwed things up! This particular issue makes it hard for me to promote even if I trust their judgment about being an admin.
    etc.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted