Featured How many of you run FB Groups?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by Lisa, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Yes (connected to a forum)

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Yes (not connected to a forum)

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  4. Other (FB Page, MeWe group/Page, etc) - share details in the replies.

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,403
    90% of the members here are going to be on TAZ because they own/admin a forum, but how many of you run FB groups.

Let's do a poll (because I'm nosy) and find out.

2. Jason5

Jason5 Enthusiast

+47
    I don't use Facebook so no FB group and i won't be creating one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  3. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    I would love to be able to say this, but I run websites and design them, and some of them have forums. More and more my clients want me to be their expert on Social Media, particularly Facebook. As a matter of preservation, it's not a choice for me.

4. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
    FB pages with the main intent of driving some traffic to the forums.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+218
    Nope. NO SURRENDER TO THE EVIL ZUCKERBERG EMPIRE!!! :gun:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  6. Mattit

Mattit Neophyte

+10
    I run several groups, as well as a handful of pages. People keep giving me more groups to run (whether they ask me or not), so I must be good at doing something. My largest group is getting close to the 15K mark. The smallest is just a couple hundred. My largest page (which my other Admin has been the primary for, for about 5 years now) is 25K followers, I think.

After your (Lisa ) post about the upcoming changes at FB, I'm kicking one website project into a higher priority in hopes of moving some of the people to it and away from FB. I'm also sharing the news with several other group Admins to have a large discussion on the matter.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,030
    FB is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I've no doubt about it.
    Because of that when I get my first bread slicer the second thing to have will be an FB Group.

8. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    Here's my example... I have a Classifieds board on my forum and a Classifieds group on Facebook. About 15 people participate on the forum and over 1500 participate on the Facebook group. The 15 that participate on the forum do not participate in the group on Facebook and the 1500 in the Facebook group do not participate on the forum. I have never had any success pulling Facebook users to the forum. It's like asking someone who drinks rum to have a scotch instead. People use what they like. What Zuckerberg was successful in doing is providing what people like and then giving them more of it. Traditional forums require conformity and organization. The masses used forums when that was what was available. I would suggest the forum lovers among us and those that participate in our forums are special and in the minority. We don't conform to the whims of the masses. It's a struggle, albeit a worth one. (Just my observation)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Facebook page connected to my forum. Best of bith worlds.

10. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,183
    Connected in what fashion?

11. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Have a sign up button on my facebook page, which takes you straight to my registration page. From there you can sign in with facebook. Seems very very popular.

12. Jason5

Jason5 Enthusiast

+47
    So how many members from FB joined your forum DaveL ? Does it still give you good result?

13. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+38
    Does a store count? I have one store where I flip some of my items and there are buyers within that group.

14. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,206
    Groups ? Never, they are just awful.

Technically we have a page for our forum - dont use it for anything though.

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,270
    I inherited a number of groups whose members were all originally members of forums I owned. I've since divorced myself from everything Facebook related because I really don't what anything to do with it.

16. Defiant America

Defiant America Neophyte

+0
    I H8 Facebook, but I have a couple of pages and a few groups. I am working on getting away from them.

17. 2dub

2dub Adherent

+39
    This is the big problem. I have some members which follow the FB group, and visa-versa, but I am not being successful in getting the FB users to join at the forum and engage there.

IMO as biased as it may be, forums are much better. You can have multiple conversations going at once, it's easier to search and more, but I just cant get people to make the leap

18. Defiant America

Defiant America Neophyte

+0
    Yeah forums are so much better. Facebook is making people retarded and accepting their crap groups as the way it ought to be and they have no clue how nice forums are. Most people who comment on anything on Facebook are probably not even being seen for the most part. It would be interesting to know how many people who post comment on posts and pages on Facebook are just talking to themselves.

19. VoXX

VoXX Participant

+26
    No group but I did setup a page and only post to it to point back to the forum content. I do nothing else on the page.

20. Natasha

Natasha Neophyte

+4
    There are many things groups do on Facebook that could be done nowhere else, and it isn't all for fun and entertainment. The groups which are getting screwed right now are animal groups. While the idea of cracking down on backyard breeders is a good one, banning all rehoming and good breeding is really a problem.

I run a 60,000 member rat and mouse care group. Before Facebook, 1. Only pet stores sold rats and mice, which means only abusive situations as they come from mills. 2. Rats and mice were not rehomed, they were killed or set loose to die, as official shelters don't generally take them. and 3. People treated their pets horribly because they listened to pet store workers. Rats lived universally in small tanks choking on their fumes and having their livers deteriorated by cedar chips, eating birdseed. Facebook groups changed that.

Add facebook and you have very good breeders, who know their genetics and have excellent husbandry, but operate out of their homes; excellent home-based rescues; and amazing networks where you can be anywhere in the world and post your rat needs a home, and more than likely we will figure it out. We personally vet breeders with three interviews before they can post.

I would have left Facebook years ago were it not for, now, 60,000 people with probably 300,000 pet rats and mice, who count on me. I have a library of information as well as vets on call. We can deal with pretty much every pet issue in real time. We have vastly improved the lives of up to 300,000 pocket pets.

And hundreds of other animal groups are the same.

So when I see people dissing Facebook and saying people who use it are stupid or brain dead, or is is not necessary (not so much here) it upsets me. As of yesterday pet groups are being taken down by the thousands, The other large rat group, far older than mine, has been taken down for good. We are scrubbing our site of every word we can but the fact remains FB has now taken away from us the possibility of helping animals to be bred correctly and to find homes or rescues or shelters.

That's my two cents!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.