Domain Name(s) How long does it take DNS to propagate?

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Like a idiot I messed with my hosting I wanted to test another hosting account. And now my DNS is all messed up. How long does it take to propagate?

Greg

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I added a new client to JacquiiDesigns server a few days ago.
She changed here nameservers and the DNS propogated almost instantaneously. Certainly within 5-10 minutes anyway.
I'm used to wait times of 3-4 hours or even up to 24 hours. So really - I suppose it just depends. I don't think there is any solidly definitive answer as to how long it takes DNS to propagate.

J.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I bet its going to take me 24hrs because I changed it yesterday and its still showing the wrong website on my end. :mad:

P.S. Note to self if it works don't try and fix it lol.

Greg

TheChiro

Devotee
I thought you've been in this game for like 10+ years (or close to 10?)...should be common knowledge by now.

Back in the day, it could take up to 72 hours. It depends on your host. You could also set OpenDNS or Google DNS up in your router which would likely be faster propagation.

bucket

badge consultant
some webhosts set a longish TTL.

use dns that lets you set your own TTL. such as godaddy's DNS

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
It could be his ISP. Happens with certain ISPs.

In command prompt (if in Windows) ipconfig/flushdns

bucket

badge consultant
look at the site through some proxies to decide if the world sees what you see.

Retry

Participant
In some cases even after DNS is propagated, you might not resolve to the new host, because of browser cache as well.
In general DNS propagation will be finished in 10 to 15 minutes.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I have ATT Uverse it has to be my isp because I was still having problems until I switched to Google dns. Everything is fine now. :cool:

Greg

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I thought you've been in this game for like 10+ years (or close to 10?)...should be common knowledge by now.

Back in the day, it could take up to 72 hours. It depends on your host. You could also set OpenDNS or Google DNS up in your router which would likely be faster propagation.
I was planing on changing hosts but the host wasn't the problem. The website was doing the same thing at the new host. So I switched the DNS back and kept my old host. I don't have anymore more problems now, I switched to Xenforo and the youtube video is off the main page.

Greg

User37935

Neophyte
I'm with bucket here. A lot depends on your time to live (TTL), many hosts leave this at 24 hours, ideally you change this to a few minutes prior to any change and let that new value propagate first, this is how you can get a very quick change over. However even then I've seen it take a couple of days to fully resolve 100% to the new host each time. You just have to be patient, there's not a lot you can do about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bitnull

Fan
Technically speaking, DNS Propagation can take between 1 minute and up to 96 hours (across the entire infrastructure) – TTL doesn't work exactly as most of you think it does, a low TTL will help speed things up a little with the more common ISP's but as the system hasn't got a standard and quite a lot of ISP's have a ridiculously long cache, it varies across ISP/country.

Having a (very) low TTL can have negative performance impact, I'd recommend using either 900 or 1800 (15 and 30 minutes respectively), not the 60 – 300 I often see.

a low TTL will help speed things up a little with the more common ISP's but as the system hasn't got a standard and quite a lot of ISP's have a ridiculously long cache
Virgin Media springs to mind!

Having a (very) low TTL can have negative performance impact, I'd recommend using either 900 or 1800 (15 and 30 minutes respectively), not the 60 – 300 I often see.
I usually (when I'm about to change to a new IP on the server) drop it to 900 and wait for a day before I change my IP. Then after 3 days I bump it backup to 3600.
Totally agree. Unless you need a High Availability setup, or have active standby in place, you might as well stick to the 3600 TTL unless you are preparing to change IP address. I only lower mine down to 60 a few days before I move IP address, and then move it back after a day or two.

promoters4

Neophyte
Its change instantly but you can't see the changes because of your browser cache. If you change the IP through any VPN Service you will see the new nameservers instantly so no need to wait 24 hours.