How long did it take your forum to get 1,000,000 posts?

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by Shawn Gossman, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,847
    Since the celebration of TAZ getting 1,000,000 posts, it has taken this community like 12 years to do it. However, I notice that other forum in other niches may take longer or even shorter pending the popularity of the niche. So I am asking all of you big board owners with over 1,000,000 posts - how long did it take you to get to that number of posts? What do you think the leading factor was for getting that kind of activity on your forum to accomplish that posting stat?

2. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+196
    It took us 4 years and 4 days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. AllanD

AllanD Habitué

+176
    I have no Idea once I get there I will be sure to post back here and tell you :p

I do think that some niches have a better chance of reaching that milestone a little faster than others. If get a good solid core of members that post frequently that will only draw others to join them.

4. Fred_2004

Fred_2004 Aspirant

+13
    Only 4 years :eek:

I'm still 120 years away from that. :unsure:

5. SimonP1878

SimonP1878 Adherent

+12
    took us just over six years to get our first million, and close to reaching our second million about six years later

I'd never actually looked at it that way before, and assumed our forums had slowed down quite a lot thanks to Twitter etc, but it seems we're just as busy as ever!

6. Arne

Arne Aspirant

+10
    A way to increase forum posts is to integrate a chat.

With decent traffic people tend to talk a lot in the chat which creates a lot of messages. <shameless advertisement> With <shameless removal of advertisment>Please don't do that</shameless removal of advertisment> you can call the API and get conversations according to a keyword you call it with. These posts you should be able to push it in your forum. </shameless advertisement>

Again, this only works if you have a good amount of traffic already. Since only that way people start conversations and keep them going. If so, you can have about 3.000 -10.000 messages a day easily. Not everything is super useful, but at least half of it should be - depending on your forum topic and your visitors.

Have a look at this guy:

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

In all of his chats he generated 11.000 messages yesterday. Half of it is useless content, but the rest he uses for SEO based on different specific Keywords, keyword density and word count.

Btw: The useless content is only useless as content. People come back to his site every day to talk with other people in the chat about a variety of different topics. So he built a community that way he did not have before.

I would love to have some feedback from all of you if this is something useful for you guys as forum owners.

Arne

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2016
  7. Arne

Arne Aspirant

+10
    Haha, I read the rules because I wasn't sure if it is allowed but I didn't see the rule 'no links'. But I understand the removal :) Sorry, won't happen again

8. pierce

pierce Fan

+342
    2 years and 2 months

9. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+24
    Looks like 3 years and 5 months back in 2004. A little over 6.6 million today.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Enthusiast

+46
    That seems fast, what kind of site?

11. billgtr

billgtr Aspirant

+20
    Looks like we're getting there this year. It's our 4th year and we're near 700k but traffic is moving faster than usual.

12. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,744
    Several years --- Now I have three sites with an excess of a million posts.

13. woody

woody eternal noobie

+37
    broke 10 million posts just prior to the 15 year anniversary (which is celebrated this month)

14. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+32
    After 15 years we were Total posts 1885422

I am not the forum owner on this one but part of the mod team for years... :)

Impressive for a phpBb site.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted