How i'm helping a project start a new forum

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by we_are_borg, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+710
    Skip the Blogs app to save yourself some money. Most communities can get away with turning a forum board into Personal Blogs, and it keeps all of the interaction in the Forums app.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,100
    Well i know that i will blog and that at least one other is going to. I write small stuff but the other person a a4 page is nothing for him. So it will get used.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    This is just an observation regarding blogs which may not be too relevant to this thread but... TAZ has tabs for blogs, articles, reviews etc which I never do more than scan as an admin for spam. I don't read them, they are of little or no interest to me and this thread has made me question why that is.

Supposing we did away with the tabs and had nodes labelled blogs, articles, reviews etc, would I be more likely to read them then? I think the answer is almost certain yes but I don't really know why. Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but I get the feeling none of these bolt on products integrate well with the core forum?

4. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Well blogs here on TAZ was a nice experiment but what is posted could be done in Articles to. Reviews is something that needs to be developed even more read filled, we can be something like Web hosting talk but we need to expand with the assets we have in add-ons we can do a lot. The problem is directing people to the different parts of what we have. This is also what i face with the project but the activity stream is much better then XF.

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,031
    Perhaps because TAZ supposed to be a forum?
    They are there only to make the core software upgrade harder.
    It would be certainly easier for the members to dismiss them by clicking on "Mark Forums Read".

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    Those two statements sum it up for me.

It's not that I'm against the rich content blogs and articles have the potential to provide, it's about the lack of integrated functionality that isolates that content from the rest of the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+710
    You really need to have a strategic need for those other apps. Most communities, especially when new, are best served by starting with just the forums.

8. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+28
    It's IMO depending on the software you're using. That's something what I really loved and which was one of the reasons for me to move from XF to IPS...
    IPS includes ALL the searchable content into the search (you can search by type, but you don't have to) and also into the activity streams and also the member profile will show ALL my activity https://invisioncommunity.com/profile/536345-daniel-f/content/ , which I can separate by the content type, but I can also see everything.

9. we_are_borg

+2,100
    XF activity stream is limited thats the point XF2 is better but still not how it should be.

The activity stream that IPS has is better then XF fixer showed us that some time ago. So its not a surprise that people find content on a IPS website.

10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,279
    I agree, out of all the forum platforms I've looked at IPS does a better job in terms of integrating content types.

11. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Its an oversight from XF an activity stream should be open for all content if an article is made in an add-on it should show up in XF stream one place to rule it all.

12. we_are_borg

+2,100
    I am waiting that they are going to buy IPS, but we forgot hosting to be taken care off. I left enough money in the budget to do so but instead of buying VPS 4GB we went for one with 8GB memory the price difference was 8 euro i rather have enough memory. How did we forget well you talk to different persons and I thought it was taken care of but we needed to confirm well luckily we didn’t because we have a sweeter deal right now.

13. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,178
    Been there!

Easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of the task at hand.

14. we_are_borg

+2,100
    It was rather stupid and i made sure it was in the budget but dealing with many people is hard because one does the cash and buys everything.

15. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+123
    Nah, just try to be a little less militant in your holy crusade for IPS.

16. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    it’s a passion

17. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+28
    How were the first weeks with IPS4 ?:)

18. we_are_borg

+2,100
    I love IPS4 it’s handling everything great. But at the same time i’m missing features little tweaks here and there but nothing major. What I truly miss and its the same on any software is being able to adjust time and date of posts, join date etc.. This is when setting up the software a must this should be included in the core. I still have enough to do need to make a subscription so people can sponsor us with it. Later we want to do more with e-commerce, also i need to look at clubs in depth but what i found out is weird that there is no pages in clubs i really would love to see that included.

The support i got from IPS and the add-on developers was great and swift.

19. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+28
    https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9374-club-pages/ was just released some days ago :d
    Thanks, I am glad to hear that :)

20. we_are_borg

+2,100
    To bad it not core release but Fosters is great with add-ons will keep it in mind.

Support is great really it is.

What i forgot to mention is that I come from Xenforo so everything is a little weird at first but when you think about it it works as it should and fast.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.