How i'm helping a project start a new forum

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by we_are_borg, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+674
    Because these resources are code checked at time of submission, required to maintain compatibility, and required to show compatibility. The fact that our Marketplace has a comparable number of third party mods that are compatible (or near compatible) to the latest version is a testament to the strength of the third party community. It means that our Marketplace sheds the hobbyist and non-serious devs who try to upload plugins "for fun" but who ultimately harm the client base. As everyone knows, depending on third party developers is always a risky proposition and anything you can do to work with trusted developers is always an important consideration. When you buy into the software, you're also buying into the community.

mysiteguymysiteguy I'm sorry that you had a truly horrible experience and it sounds like you're carrying around that anger. I invite you to start a conversation with me that I can escalate to IPS Management to review their policies, especially around the access of data in cloud.

With that said, I'd like to clarify some statements that are factually inaccurate. Clients are allowed to change their domains for free within a certain time frame. They do, however, have a policy against domain hopping that abuses a single license.

The cost of cloud hosting is also cheaper when you incorporate factors like server administration. Too many people look at the IPS cloud offering and try to make a direct comparison to a discounted server from GoDaddy. If you pay for just one hour of server administration per month at $100 USD, then you can start to see the hidden cost of private servers.

we_are_borgwe_are_borg Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. In the future, I invite you to spend some time with Invision Community to fully and deeply evaluate the best option on behalf of your clients. There are some first-party features in the suite that would have been standout additions for your client:
    - Clubs - you can create five different kinds like open or private clubs with unlimited custom fields, geomapping, and club management like club leaders and moderarors. Each club can contain the same apps of the main community like forums, gallery, downloads. You can also show the club content in the rest of the community.
    - Social Media Promotion - not just social sign in, this is where admins can integrate and push viral-worthy content to Facebook pages and Twitter. You can queue up a backlog of items on a schedule to ensure a steady drip of community content.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+909
    Nice post

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,187
    Joel RJoel R

Thank you for taking the time to address my post, I really do appreciate it. It's late here and time to turn in for the night, so I'll post a full reply later on, and will take you up on your offer to start a conversation about my experience (after I get some much-needed rest).

Thanks.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,065
    Both features they know off and for me the Social Media Promotion will be missed the most but they knew all this the choice was made for Xenforo. What i wanted to do for some time is side by side comparison of IPS and Xenforo what features it has out of the box and how the add-on market works on both platforms.

5. we_are_borg

+2,065
    There is going to be one more meeting with 3 people that will have the final say in this i will ask again if they are really 110% sure that they want to use Xenforo. Also try to explain the difference between them.

6. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+990
    Without any direct knowledge or experience with the software, how would they know?

One of the most difficult things to do as a consultant or contractor is to throw away all of your preconceptions and personal preferences, and focus on the client. It doesn't matter which forum software you choose. It just needs to fit their criteria for the project. Once you've gotten sign-off on what they need from the forum (for today and for down the road), choosing the software is easy.

7. we_are_borg

+2,065
    Who ever would know i have made docs for them they looked and wanted XF but i need to make sure.

8. we_are_borg

+2,065
    fixerfixer and Joel RJoel R

We are going forward with the forum but apparently i can choose between XF and IPS between the two price is almost the same if you translate it to yearly. But what i do like is the social media on IPS and also the Clubs feature. I really like XF but those two features they really want to promote the social media aspect and i mean go full out on them.

9. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,148
    Those are 2 features that will be hard to support, long-term, with XF.

Yes, there are some 3rd party "Club-like" addons for XF - but 3rd parties are, well, 3rd parties. What happens if 5 years (or hell, 1 year) down the road the addon isn't supported?

10. we_are_borg

+2,065
    Well clubs is something that is going to be used, not on day one but when the setup is running it can help a lot. Where not going to be a forum that allows everything its scientists first and people that know their stuff. So people that do not know anything will only get access to learn and not access to everything. But we want the once that can teach have a good podium to explain and address their peers. Have explained that Social Media is a bit better supported by IPS then XF and clubs is not going to happen on XF because its not as integrated as IPS and as extended as IPS. The only drawback is that i need to learn more but i am going to run the forum.

11. we_are_borg

+2,065
    I gave the go ahead to go for IPS i over ruled the Xenforo person. The reason being Tutorials, FAQ add-on, Clubs, Blogs (would have cost more on XF the only one good imho is from Bob) and Social Media is imho a bit better. I never found good alternatives for Clubs, Blogs, FAQ and tutorials on XF. The only drawback is that i just doubled my own work but I really love to do this, to get this to the level i want it will take a full year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  12. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+27
    Congratulations for the smart move to use IPS.
    May I ask why you've chosen this 2 apps rather than using the CMS/Pages app? In sum it's cheaper to use the pages app and to create at least the 2(and in future more) databases and to use them for Tutorials and FAQ... Do they provide anything unique, what could not be achieved with the pages app?

Is it only the time factor and that it's easier to use the apps?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  13. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,148
    Kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone.

I think you will be more interested & satisfied a year down the road, with your skill set expanded and expertise more robust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. we_are_borg

+2,065
    Its because of time and i have no idea where to start with IP.Pages i am not a developer so to learn this without good examples is going to be hard. I want the site fully running in 3 weeks when they bought it, meaning configure IPS and making sure we have good security in place and user groups and forums. They saw super grid and where exited about it. We are not buying patreon and slack add-on. Comming back on IP.Pages there should be more documentation about it, including a full list what you can use in the programming language. Also Matt MMatt M said he give some examples but i think he forgot.

15. we_are_borg

+2,065
    Yes i think so to its not about comfort but what they wanted to do with it. XF is on the right track there not in the same league at the moment. They still miss Oauth and linking will be important later on, clubs is missing in XF its an add-on but there are a few and nothing is as good looking as IPS clubs. Also they miss FAQ and Tutorials add-on. That we have commerce and blogs is a plus can do lots of stuff with it.

16. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+27
    While we have some great resources, I don't disagree that there's probably a huge learning curve.

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guid...lding-a-recipe-section_360/introduction-r155/
    https://invisioncommunity.com/4guid...-the-release-notes-section/introduction-r101/
    There's also a topic with hints and code snippets for a Bug & Suggestions Tracker https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/405978-how-to-emulate-the-bug-tracker/

You also don't need any coding knowledge at all, it's the Pages app handles everything for you, if you don't want to customize the templates. And for the template customizations only some basic HTML knowledge is required:)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  17. we_are_borg

+2,065
    DanielFDanielF thank you. The only thing i would like to see implemented is multiple languages that would be sweet to have, just like Woltlab has.

18. DanielF

DanielF Aspirant

+27
    Just a quick example for a FAQ database but the workflow is the same...
    5-10 clicks and you're done.

19. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+674
    Feel free to say hi to everyone on Invision Community, and let us know we can help!

You're probably already aware, but it's going to be a learning curve for anyone who is making a switch. Some things will be more comfortable in your old platform, some things will be new and exciting on Invision Community. I think some people try to fixate on a pure comparison as if they can pick and choose what they like out of WordPress, Woocommerce, Invision Community, and others and smash them all into a hybrid unicorn platform. I think the pragmatic admins will chug away with what's available rather than what's not available.

You'll find Invision Community to be a leader in the following areas:
    - Social media - We have social logins, streamlined social logins for easy first time posting, and social media promotion that integrates Facebook Pages and Twitter with auto queuing of posts. This is very powerful since you can set a schedule and queue up curated content to push out.
    - Clubs - We have five types of clubs ready to build micro communities with their own forum discussion, galleries, and files. It allows for private or niche offshoots from your main community, and content can appear / not appear in your main community areas. Ive seen admins use this for everything for read-only content areas to private discussions to incubators for new communities to changing up their entire community to be based all on clubs.
    - Suite - I personally believe that Invision continues to lead the way in a broader approach to community suite. It's a platform based on a core, where you mix and match apps to meet your custom needs. It's not a one size hat tries to fit all. This perspective is ingrained into our community design, with custom activity streams, custom blocks and custom hot zones where you can drag and drop items to build an integrated community.
    - Pages - Every IPS client needs to buy Pages. It's confusing as hell at first LOL with four areas: custom single pages, custom databases of content, custom blocks, and custom templates. The true power is in the custom databases where you can build unlimited databases of biographies, articles, reviews, recipes, quotes, models, etc. Pages enables admins to build out authoritative content while the forums handles the community content.

In any case, say hi to us on the peer forums of InvisionCommunity.com.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  20. we_are_borg

+2,065
    When we have the software i will do that.

I do not mind the learning curve but at the moment i am the only admin that knows a bit of Forums in general. They only worked with free forums so there going in to shock when they see this and what it can do. We are going to order the complete package from IPS even commerce. The old forum was never used because they never had anyone running it so the old posts i will transfer manually this way my install keeps clean. What i like about IPS is that they support Oauth this means for me easy linking software later on because apparently they are going to take over another forum.

Social media looks better then on XF and while they only gave it 50% importance i think IPS will get more out of it. I like the schedule and queue in IPS that is what draw me in.

Clubs i think i can make them very relevant because we need to cater scientist that want to tell there story and teach so the normal forums can be clean. But its not going to be used on day one that is for sure same with commerce.

Forum, Commerce, Download, Gallery, Pages and Calendar are made to support one and other its the only software i know that has everything from one company. With vBulletin and XF you still need to buy add-ons to get the same function. But this also means the software is more complicated and a high learning curve especially by commerce.

Yes Pages is very powerful and sorry to say IPS is not doing it justice to little documentation and to little examples. There are samples but nothing very advanced enough and i have a good idea what i want to do with it, first is news about the project, second news of sources that people do not visit often.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.