How i'm helping a project start a new forum

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by we_are_borg, Mar 12, 2019.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    1. you will not be happy with either nobita or snog

2. because you said $850 for IPS you can buy a full license and just about every addon for less than that

3. because you said so

2. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    1. wrong! totally different, there is no first party option and i picked an established world class third party option and not some shaddy third world kickstarter project

2. Consumers want quality, relative options and not meaningless filler .. how many tv channels do people watch... 3 or 4 maybe ... but we have 1000 channels of crap

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,100
    1. Maybe and maybe not but atm we do not need it.
    2. 800 to 850 where 525 was for license and you still donot know what add-ons and style(s) we want same for Xenforo.
    3. Then you still have no idea what my skills are unless i tell them to you.

4. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    so you are figuring on everything ips has to offer minus 1 feature and still need $300 for addon and a style

no way dude

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/xenforo-3rd-party-resources.145863/

and a bit more recent but more of a topic for thoughts on how one may perceive a XenForo "Marketplace" in the future. (trying to keep it that way anyhow :p)
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/xenforo-marketplace-how-can-it-be-better.150059/

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,221
    No matter what the counter-argument is, be it price, add-ons, features needed or not, etc., you're going to say IPS is the best choice. It's like arguing with a political extremist.

They have great products, we get it, and I don't deny that for one second. What they don't have is great support staff, and I've experienced it first hand. And also with clients, one of whom they nickeled and dimed for years. When he figured it out, he tried to move off the cloud-hosted platform, and they added insult to injury by requiring he buy non-cloud licenses before they would give him his data. He didn't need licenses, he just needed his data because he was migrating to another forum platform. So he forked over hundreds of dollars for a license he didn't need, essentially having his data held hostage until he paid the ransom. Support of the kind they have is a costly waste of time from the first party provider.

Plus they lock down your ability to download license versions you paid for unless you renew, whether or not there's a new version available. Need to change a board's domain, another charge.

They have over 1000 items in their addon store, how is that any less crappy than 1300+ from XF's resources?

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. we_are_borg

+2,100
    It can be that i typed in a wrong formula i hope not would be stupid. I can recheck to make sure.

8. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Re-checked and i now know what i forgot to tell. Because we needed to compare Xenforo and IPS I calculated everything to 12 months (IPS and many add-ons renew at 6 months) so the price includes 12 months of support and 12 months of add-on support. So that is why i got 800 to 850 but to be exact its 826 dollars for 12 months. The reason why Xenforo is more expensive is that its based on UK VAT for Xenforo so that makes it 70 dollar more expensive and Xenforo was 910 dollars so its minus 70 dollars (because the project is also based in US so they need to buy it) 840 dollars only. So Xenforo is a bit more expensive to buy in this case and renewal Xenforo is 10 dollars more then IPS but thats because of the add-ons.

9. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    IPS does not feed me or ___ me l, i'm just making observations

I’m very interested in “a year later” look at this project

good luck

10. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    That would make it less crappy by 300

11. we_are_borg

+2,100
    What is garbage for one is treasure for another.

12. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    Fun little project to rate the TAZ addon's 1-10 in must haves ..... I would say the results would show >50% of the sites features are under the x-bar

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    Pretty sure we’re straying far from the intention of this topic. Let’s drop the bashing.

14. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,016
    This is bashing? Oh! ok, sorry then

Ill try to be more pro xf in the future

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

+3,141
    The OP has stated a few reasons why they chose what they did.

If we had more info on the project we could move past IPS vs XF and maybe help.

16. we_are_borg

+2,100
    I gave the reasons they choose for Xenforo instead of IPS, it was not because one was bad and the other good. But that i was more familiar with Xenforo and the person deciding thought Xenforo looked better. I myself was leaning towards IPS but i then would have to learn everything from almost ground up. It was almost IPS that won but because i needed to learn stuff asap i said if its needs to be done timely the Xenforo would go faster. Dont forget that i am on TAZ daily and i know my way around Xenforo and many add-ons. The price was not an issue either its only a few dollars a part so that was not a concern to begin with, i had a 1000 euro to spend, i was more worried for renewals in the long term. Around 180 renewal a year i think its not bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,037
    I don't really care what software is used. I'm more interested in what is the specific purpose for the forum in this project (i.e., who is it for and why, how they will access it, is it temporary or permanent, etc.). In the past, I've recommended free forum software, like SMF, for corporate projects, based on the needs.

18. we_are_borg

+2,100
    The main purpose is that project managers can communicate with users and other volunteers, communication is now done by Facebook, Twitter, Slack and other social media. They want 1 point to cummunicate and if needed be able to use social media from the forum, also i made them aware that they could use Social Media to login into the forum. The main idea later is to allow normal users to see how scientist work but they can’t communicate where they talk about the project this to ensure its not disruptive, the normal users will have there own place. So its a permanent solution. But we also have developers normally they use DM for communication but if they need to discuss larger stuff they can do so. Also because what the project is you can draw in unwanted people and we needed to make sure discussion was done on the project terms, meaning that deleting a discussion is not an option. With this external solutions is not a real option because we cant control other sites.

19. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,037
    Good stuff. So this is similar to some projects I've worked on. They want to use it for outward communication with the public, internal communication among and/or between teams, and as a means to capture project discussion and decisions.

For this you don't need a lot beyond basic forum functionality and I think XF is a good choice because many find it to have a friendlier interface, with makes getting them to use it easier (except for the stupidity of "Conversations"). I don't know about XF2 but 1 did have some accessibility challenges with many of the popups, so that might be a concern if you have visually impaired project members.

20. we_are_borg

+2,100
    Well tomorrow another meeting on hangouts then i need to say what the addons do after that funding it self thats another person. Have no idea how they are going to buy it because its XF and add-ons and a domain, so that is going to interesting. Going to continue with user groups and need to know what forums we need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.