How I upgraded to XenForo 2.0.0

Abraham54

Aspirant
My forum is now running very smoothly with XenForo 2.0.0

Before I upgraded I closed my forum and then went on via Admin Panel to remove all add-ons and except the default theme all other themes.

On the server I removed files left over.

This took me almost one and a halve hours.
Via FTP i uploaded the upgrade and after that installed the upgrade.
All in all it took a little more than two hours to open my forum again.

There were no issues, thanks to removing everything that is not compatible with XenForo 2.

https://piepcomp.nl/

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Were you using any addons whose functionalty you no longer need, or is now included in 2.0 ?

Abraham54

Aspirant
There were add-ons that no more would be supported.
And all the others is unknown to me.
But at the moment I am missing nothing - not that everything I had installed is now furnished in XenForo 2.
I first had a testforum and that went so smooth; also members (al my members could log-in) told me they could not wait for the upgrade to happen.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
members (al my members could log-in) told me they could not wait for the upgrade to happen.
Were they looking forward to anything in particular ?

I'm curious, as I'm the fence on how significant changes could be for users and most feedback we got is variations of 'keep what we got and change nothing'.

Abraham54

Aspirant
My members were convinced everything would be more beautiful and better!
And so it really is.
I have received many messages from inside and outside that my forum now looks beautiful.

haqzore

Devotee
Have gotten compliments from my members also. The addons we don't have yet, we can operate without. I'm installing them as they become available.

My process was similar to yours, except I removed 3rd party styles.... And also upgraded XFMG and XFRM without issue.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend a full backup before the upgrade. Didn't see that in your steps, and there's really just no reason not to.

Abraham54

Aspirant
From the experience gathered making test forums with each version of XenForo, i felt confident enough not to make a back-up of the database.

Also my host Antagonist makes 24 times a day a complete back-up.

haqzore

Devotee
From the experience gathered making test forums with each version of XenForo, i felt confident enough not to make a back-up of the database.

Also my host Antagonist makes 24 times a day a complete back-up.
So you did have a backup.

Confidence has nothing to do with it.
The script itself is but one of many points at which a failure could occur.

Not backing up as a habit just makes it a question of when, not if.

Abraham54

Aspirant
Hello hagzore, since using XenForo from January this year on, I never had problems.
In the old days with phpBB that was a different story.
Right now my forum is in an upgrade process to XenForo 2.0.1

Paul M

Super Moderator
..... I felt confident enough not to make a back-up of the database.

I'm glad it all went well for you, but never ever feel confident you dont need a back-up.
Hardware failure can occur at any time, irrespective of how well previous upgrades have gone.
A sudden loss of disk can kill a database dead - I know, its happened to me.

Abraham54

Aspirant
Well, I know there can go anything go wrong.

But on the other hand the total service of my host Antagonist is perfect.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I clicked 2.0.1 in the Themehouse install and upgrade plugin, which promptly broke the forum.

So I just uploaded a fresh XF2 install over my existing installation and installed that and it imported my XF1 and it is working great now.

bushcraftTone

Neophyte
How's it going with the 2.0 instals? We moved to 1.5.x in october and I'm holding out on going to 2.0 to make sure it's all stable enough, what are your experiences with it in use?