how does the data get used on airplay?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by fixer, Mar 30, 2019.

1. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+930
    FIRST: I HAVE NO HOME INTERNET

• I have ipad pro 11” with cellular
    • I have apple tv 4th gen
    i have to put my hot spot on to air play to the apple tv

is this using my limited hot spot data or is it using my unlimited on device data?

mirror will not occur without apple tv
    connected to hot spot

2. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+213
    how do you run and develop a website without a laptop or desktop computer?

3. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+109
    In another thread he mentioned he has a Mac Book Pro.

4. cornnfedd

+213
    oh my bad..

5. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+930
    yes macbook pro connected to my phones hot spot

i live in a geographical oddity ... 5 miles from everywhere

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    That's not a geographical oddity, that's heaven on earth :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+125
    A mobile hotspot is basically an access point. In this case, it uses the data from your cellular sim card plan.
    If you are on an unlimited data plan for your phone, the apple TV will use that data when tethered to the mobile hotspot.

8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,600
    Not entirely correct if one has Verizon for their cellular service and are talking about their "unlimited" plan. They both use "data", but the hotspot/tethered is usually restricted to something around 15GB and then you get throttled to up to 600 Kbps.

9. southernlady

southernlady Coder/Designer

+187
    No home internet here either, but then it’s hard when you keep moving around in a fifth wheel. Something else we’ve learned, never put all your eggs in one basket.

Mobile devices are on an unlimited grandfathered AT&T, but no mifi devices allowed any more so when ours kicked the bucket, we had to find something else for our laptops.
    Last March, due to being members of a RVing association, we were able to get an unlimited Sprint mifi. We rent it from the association. Truly unlimited but we have been in places it doesn’t work well.
    About a month ago, we got a prepaid Verizon jet pack that is truly unlimited unless you are in a super congested area. We usually aren’t. The Verizon jet pack had to be purchased outright. No contract involved. and ONLY THE PREPAID.

So we have three options for data, all unlimited. Only thing we need now is a cell signal booster.

10. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+125
    Yeah I had a feeling it would be different in the USA. It isn't restricted in Australia but that's due to different plans.

11. cornnfedd

+213
    There are going to be some cracker plans coming out in Australia for 5G next year... 250GIGs++ download per month for under $40 per month I have heard... cant wait...who needs NBN when you can just 5G it :) :)

12. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    I heard that they are planning them to be unlimited and free...

13. cornnfedd

+213
    there will be unlimited plans but it will cost you.

will be interesting to see how the biggest waste of money in history the NBN goes when 5g is in full swing and we get some decent data plans...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.