How do you use Prefixes?

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by cdub24, Jun 10, 2016.

1. cdub24

cdub24 Participant

+33
    How do you use prefixes? I've experimented with them on my sites but I've never really figured out the best way to use them and ended up going back to just subforums or forums. But then you have the problem of those subforums being less active.

2. arabicpoint

arabicpoint Participant

+2
    Prefixes is a shortcut of whats inside the thread, it make member what is inside the thread if a forum has to many threads with different niche content.
    You can add prefixes when forums have many threads in.

3. cdub24

cdub24 Participant

+33
    Examples?

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,204
    I use pre-fixes for forum sections I know will eventually grow large enough to merit splitting at a future date.

For instance if it's a section on an auto site called "Chevy Small Trucks", I might have two prefixes: Colorado and S-10. When it gets busy enough to split into two sections: "Chevy Colorado" and "Chevy S-10", the prefixes make it very easy for me to select all topics matching each type of truck, to move into it's new section. Once moved into their new sections, I would remove the prefixes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,161
    Here are a few I use, I also split up my collabs and promotion section into YouTube, Twitch and other as pre fixes so people can see what they are getting before clicking.
    image.png

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. cdub24

cdub24 Participant

+33
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,349
    That's one of my primary reasons for using pre-fixes.

One example of pre-fix use would be a forum where we have technical experts answering questions on modems. We have a forum for each modem manufacturer and use prefixes for individual models. The pre-fixes make it easy for users to find content related to their particular modem.

8. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+354
    On one of my sites I use them for specific games (not hard to add a new one if a new game would be released). It's a good replacement for subforums in this sense.

prefixes.png

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,074
  10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,749
    Prefixes can be very useful
    Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 11.46.01 PM.png

11. vij

vij Participant

+21
    So most of your prefixes would also be tags?

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,349
    No, tags don't really provide the type of functionality we require. For example as far as I'm aware you can't enforce the use of tags when a thread is created which is essential. I think tags are really more suited for user created search terms rather than the ridged structure we require :)

13. vij

vij Participant

+21
    But it would be desirable right? Since tags work for seo. It would probably be beneficial for the usage you cited, wouldn't it? Users may not do it, but staff can help enforce whenever possible.

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,349
    I certainly think tags have value in terms of function and I imagine they might well have some value in terms of seo. We've have considered introducing them on that particular forum in the past but never done it mainly because it's a corporate support forum and we have to monitor all member input very closely.

15. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,848
    I use them for various things.

For my official boards (like forum news and and announcements), I have one reserved for forum updates, new features, important information and such. I also have them for various other reasons related to the topic of the forum section. For example, on a board where we talk current active severe weather which is called The War Room, we enable members to specify the type of severe weather event using prefixes like tornado, severe thunderstorm, hurricane, etc.

16. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,074
    If you're speaking of XenForo you can enforce tags. The option is in each node (Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Node(name) -> Forum Options tab). ;)
    upload_2016-6-11_17-23-6.png

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,349
    Not specifically XenForo but I had no idea you could do that on any forum platform. Useful to know though :tup: That said, I'd be more than a little irked if I had it enforced on me if I was posting :D

18. palhanow

palhanow Aspirant

+8
    In my Forum, for approaching the "social networks" idea, i changed the [classical prefix] to #hashtags.

In Brazil people get used with #hashtags, so, i use then. Like:

#TERRORISM
    #OLYMPICS
    #SECURITY
    #EDUCATION

Etc.

(I have a political forum, btw).

19. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,761
    I use them for my classifieds ----

For Sale