How Do You Keep Up With Google

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by ozzy47, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    Hey all,

It is very hard these days to have a forum SEO plan and stick with it. The reason it is hard is because Google is constantly changing the way it ranks websites in its search engine. Now how do you all keep up with Google's changes and make sure you are doing everything you can to increase the ranking of your forum without harming it's SEO at all? Opinions? Thoughts? Ideas?

2. betclever

betclever Enthusiast

+15
    Someone told me that the most important is the content (70%) and the rest comes after...
    I don't have enough knowledges to answer on this but I presume that Google doesn't like heavy websites

Sitemap?
    Limit http requests?
    Disable useless plugins?

3. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    I quit chasing SEO, and interestingly I have seen improvements in my SERPS. Now I just make sure the proper nofollows are in place and trust the content will do it's own magic.

Seriously, I feel SEO chasing is a dead horse anymore.

To add, of course robots.txt, sitemaps in webmaster tools, and analytics are still important.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,403
    Year's ago I used to try and follow good SEO practice especially if I was building a site for a client but in the end I came to the conclusion that Google was doing a pretty decent job of finding my stuff regardless of what I was doing to get it out there.

5. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Mark.B calls it a "fools gold". Like chasing the end of a rainbow.

6. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,510
    If that's true then there are a lot of fools out there... SEO is still a hot button issue and has been for a long while.

7. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    I have mixed opinions about it myself. To me, it depends on what type of site you're running? For instance; are you running a forum board or an HTML website built using html pages. You don't have much control when "viewing page source" of a forum in what gets displayed on it to search engines, not same way you can do better SEO work with a webpage using only html. Meaning you can structure everything on it to your own SEO liking, not much you can do with all that PHP/JavaScript code displayed on a forum page.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  8. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    Google ignores so much anymore, that it deems not relevant. In fact they may penalize you too. I keep saying google is smart people and they are.

But the seo marketing clowns still find suckers to do their "magic" tricks for cash. And the check gets spent long before any results could be garnered, if that is in fact the case.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    It seems to me that much of the SEO tweaks Google desires from webmasters are senseless hoops to jump through without any SEO benefit. It seems often it says more about how Google wants the internet to shape, instead of how Google works. I'm not drinking the cool aid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    I agree.

A good example is Google likes to see SSL on a site. But in the end, it provides very little if any SERPS bennies. Even Google says so.

11. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    That's really how it does look. That Google just wants to shape everything on web to suit it's search engine, nothing more really. And all the rest said by people like Matt Cutts (as a google employee), is just hype really trying to get everyone jumping on the SEO bandwagon doing it to suit Google remaining Number 1.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,075
    I just write good content and avoid obvious spam tactics (like say, purchased links or cloaking), and kind of hope it works out.

For the most part, it has so far. Never been banned or deranked even once as of yet.

13. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    It's hype until the one item collectively dismissed as hype hits your site's ranking hard. Lots of people found out during the Panda implementation. You just need to read carefully and not lose perspective of the big picture. Most are focusing solely upon what technical tricks they can use to somehow boost up their rankings like steroids users forgetting that there is no substitute for the work you need to put in at the gym.

14. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Ranking a site higher than another site can depend on lots of things, some having nothing to do with SEO. People paying Google to be ranked higher for certain keywords, age and size of a site online giving it better preference. It kind of makes a mockery out those that start a new forum and think doing all this SEO work will shoot them to number 1 page on Google.

15. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    Gone are the days of keyword stuffing and creative meta tags.

16. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    Yup, those tactics have been useless since the late 2000's.

17. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    You woukd likely not be surprised at how many sites I come across that still do that kinda seo. :yeahrt:

18. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    While it may not help anymore, it don't hurt either, unless of course you over do it, then they may penalize you.

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,266
    The fundamentals of good white hat SEO have never really changed. It's always been about the users, good content, usability, frequent updates, etc. for long term results. Yes, there are exceptions, and sometimes "good" sites have been hit and have to take action, but in most cases its due to something the site owner may not be aware of, or can't see, or someone else simply producing better content.

You can't pay Google for higher results, no such thing. You can pay to advertise on Google, and have it appear over, under or to the side of search results, but that is not ranking in Google. Stop using Adwords and *poof* those stop showing up.

20. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    If I had a nickel every time I heard someone insist that paying for AdWords resulted in an improvement of their organic search ranking...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.