How do I handle copyrighted information posted by unwitting users?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by kaptanjak, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bill Statler

Bill Statler Aspirant

+25
    I don't have enough expertise to make recommendations on the legal issues, but I'd like to point out one practical issue. If you are using Google Adsense, and somebody reports you to Google for copyright infringement, Google will dump you from Adsense. (On our forum, somebody reported a 2-year-old post that linked to an unauthorized copy of a video. That was all it took. Even after we removed that link, Google "reviewed" our site, told us we had other violations, and refused to tell us what they were.)

2. kaptanjak

kaptanjak Neophyte

+0
    Hmmm... I'm willing to bet that your forum is conservative in nature. "Fake news" perhaps?:ROFLMAO:

3. Bill Statler

Bill Statler Aspirant

+25
    No, but there is a lot of firearms discussion, and we suspect that was Google's major problem. We had been very careful to run zero Adsense ads in any of the "evil" firearms sections of the forum, but it appears that Google simply searches your entire domain for unacceptable material, and blacklists you if they find any. (I'm just guessing, because as I said, they never told us what our violations were.)

4. Basketballfan!

Basketballfan! Aspirant

+0
    delete the content then warn the users i guess

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted