How do i get rid of the spammers?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by Forums_Lord, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    I get a lot of traffic on my own forums but its mostly spammers and no matter what i set to stop them they just keep coming.
    What do i do?
    I need to finally make money on it

2. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Bayerische Motoren Werke

+180
    What software are you running?

3. Noles

Noles paypal+

+75
  4. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    I have a forums using smf (well 2 one i admin for my brother)
    Ironically i have the opposite problem with vanilla lol.
    I looked at the thread u linked me to and it only helps a little :(

5. Judge Dredd

+180
    Sorry, I am not familiar with SMF's spam mitigation features, so I can't help you. Although, there are many people here who are very experienced with SMF, I'm sure they'll be able to help!

6. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    Well let me tell you then don't use it it has ALOT of problems

7. Judge Dredd

+180
    Oh yes, I am aware. I have a buddy who chose to use it. Worst decision he's ever made IMO. It's just not the kind of software I like.

But anyway, back on topic I go!

If I remember correctly, SMF does have one feature where you can delete all of a user's posts in one click, but I think most popular software has that. :p

8. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    Yes i have been using that for spam control but that means nothing when you get over a hundred spammers a day registering and i can rarely pick out the real people from the spammers.
    What a nightmare :(

9. Judge Dredd

+180
    Geez, I know what you mean.

10. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    Luckily i have registration disabled but that's only because the stupid thing is glitching.
    How much do you know about vanilla?
    Been trying to download some applications for it and they rarely show up on the list.

11. Noles

Noles paypal+

+75
  12. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    Looks good i'll try it out and post how it goes.

13. rngrdanny22

rngrdanny22 Adherent

+4
    Here's a few tricks to get rid of SPAM without mods:

Require email activation to register (registration settings)

This will prevent some bots that want to quickly register and then start spamming. This way, a link within an email will need to be clicked to fully register.

Require a more difficult password (registration settings)

Not 100% sure about this actually preventing registration, but it would prevent the spammer from being able to use passwords like "1234" or "abcd". You can also set it to where the username could not be used as the password.

Does anyone know what types of passwords bots typically use?

Require a question to be answered (registration settings)

This is a no-brainer and should be installed at all times. Don't make this something super easy like a math problem or anything. This should be something that fans of your niche would know fairly easily, but not anyone and everyone.

I'll add to this if I can think of anymore!

-Danny

(Using SMF for past 3 years)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Solidus

Solidus Enthusiast

+27
    Given that you have more than one forum, I suggest something server-side.
    Do you have root access to your server? If so, I wrote a tutorial which helps protect from millions of spammers.

15. Forums_Lord

Forums_Lord Aspirant

+0
    Thanks to everyone for there responses i have not been able to respond until now because i forgot my password and was to lazy to hit lost password lol.
    Not sure but i think 2 of them are on the same server and one is my bro's which i believe is on a separate server and i am not sure i can access it.

Require email activation to register (registration settings)

This will prevent some bots that want to quickly register and then start spamming. This way, a link within an email will need to be clicked to fully register.

I have it set to Admin approval

Not 100% sure about this actually preventing registration, but it would prevent the spammer from being able to use passwords like "1234" or "abcd". You can also set it to where the username could not be used as the password.

I set it so that you need a medium lvl pass.

This is a no-brainer and should be installed at all times. Don't make this something super easy like a math problem or anything. This should be something that fans of your niche would know fairly easily, but not anyone and everyone.

Yep got this in effect.

Is this mod any good for you?

I forgot about it and forgot where to look to find this thread so i could not get back to it but i'll favorite it this time lol

Edit: The mod is installed just don't know how to use it from there lol.

16. Guerrera

Guerrera Participant

+10
    Here's what I do. Block China. Block Russia. Seriously. That will get rid of 60% of your spam. Do you really have any members connecting from China? Maybe you do, I don't know. But those two countries are responsible for the most bot signups of all. So invalidating them makes sense if you know you're not going to have too many Chinese or Russian users.

17. LloydM

LloydM Adherent

+8
    Any spam blocker of any source like that will do.

18. Websitepros123

Websitepros123 Aspirant

+1
    I Know SMF well. PM me and i can help.

19. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+743
    Use a good question to complete registration along with email verification. You can also set beginner group posts needs approval setting. But with that someone should approve good posts ASAP.

20. tommygun

tommygun Aspirant

+0
    Setting to admin approval is still an absolute nightmare though. It is best you look at integrating the likes of http://www.stopforumspam.com/spamdomainsandips

There's also a few others out there which you can integrate and it will automatically lookup the IP address, email and the username before allowing to register. It was very effective as a solution for me. Other ways are to actually get a VPS and block countries like China, Japan etc which is what I also do so it all amounts to a very potent anti spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted