How did Google find my new site so fast?

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by Matthew S, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+117
    I registered a domain about 3 weeks ago. I spent 2 weeks hemming and hawing about what software platform to use. I got started on building the site last Saturday, and have added some test posts, articles, and site help stuff over the last few days. I looked at my stats last night and noticed Google has been spidering my site for the last few days. I've not posted about this site anywhere. While I'm happy Google knows my site exists, I'm curious how they found me?

2. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+984
    What platform are you using? Some, like XenForo, will by default submit a sitemap to Google and Bing.

3. Pete

Pete Habitué

+230
    Also, what browser?

4. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+117
    SMF + Tiny Portal. What you say makes sense. I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

An ancient version of Iceweasel. Still waiting for insurance payout so I can get off this old laptop.

5. Pete

Pete Habitué

+230
    SMF + TP doesn't submit sitemaps etc. unless you have other plugins that might. As for browser, I don't know if Iceweasel checks out Google Safe Browsing but it would strike me that it possibly does, and therefore tells Google about it.

Alternatively, is it a domain that had content on it before and Google used to check it and now sees it has updated?

6. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+117
    Brand new 9 letter .com domain. Well, I assume it is. The way these domain harvesters vacuum up everything that expires, or even looks like an existing domain, I'd be surprised if this has been registered before.

Hmm. I did install the MathJax add-on and I believe that pulls code from elsewhere. Most everything else has been some BBCodes and such.

Anyway, it's food for thought. Thanks for the suggestions. :tup:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted