How can you just... vanish from a forum you run?

Cebu

Participant
Because I've seen this pattern quite a lot. Person sets up a forum, they're active there for a few weeks... and then they just disappear and never get seen again. They're never logged in, they never post, they never do anything on the site. It keeps 'running' in a technical sense (as if on autopilot), but the admin and staff are MIA.
First, I really like this software. Been a member of another forum where they use this software. (I use IPB for my forum sites.)

Anyway, I'm almost at the verge of doing that myself. But, I ain't been no two-week admin. My current large forum was 10 years online, last month.

But, sometimes, you just get burned out. That's about where I am now.

feldon30

Adherent
For every forum managed by a benevolent dictator who genuinely cares about the community and will undertake herculean efforts to keep it running, there is another under the thumb of an individual with deep psychological issues. Someone who suffers from narcissism, persecution complex, and paranoia cannot fathom the admission of defeat and failure that would result from handing the reins of their site over to someone else, even with financial compensation involved. They'd rather let the site die a slow death. I've seen it too many times. Power corrupts.

TheChiro

Devotee
Because after 10 years you just need a break to figure out a new direction.
First, I really like this software. Been a member of another forum where they use this software. (I use IPB for my forum sites.)

Anyway, I'm almost at the verge of doing that myself. But, I ain't been no two-week admin. My current large forum was 10 years online, last month.

But, sometimes, you just get burned out. That's about where I am now.
I agree with you guys! I've been running sites for over 11 years but the birth of my current baby was 11 years ago in less than 1 month from now! I've grown away from the content of the site but still grow closer to many members on the site. Sure, I get burned out but that's what having other admins are for. I have 4-5 other admins, 1-2 do coding, 1 has a direct line to me if there is anything he can't answer or figure out otherwise he makes many choices when I'm not around, and the other 1-2 handles the community support aspect (questions, problems, suggestions, etc). So when I step away, I know the site is in good hands and my dev and the main admin under me has a direct way of communicating with me. Really helps when I can get away, refresh my mind, and come back full strength after going full strength for 7-8 years before I started this admin set up.

For every forum managed by a benevolent dictator who genuinely cares about the community and will undertake herculean efforts to keep it running, there is another under the thumb of an individual with deep psychological issues. Someone who suffers from narcissism, persecution complex, and paranoia cannot fathom the admission of defeat and failure that would result from handing the reins of their site over to someone else, even with financial compensation involved. They'd rather let the site die a slow death. I've seen it too many times. Power corrupts.
I'm not sure I would use those adjectives...when it comes to my site, the financial compensation better be quite fair for someone I didn't know to take it off my hands. If it is anything less than fair for me, I couldn't imagine my site being run to the ground by an idiot only doing it for money. I'd much rather work something out with a staff member or even a good member on the site where they can take the reigns while doing some sort of revenue share so they didn't have to worry about the upfront investment. If/when I leave, I want my site to be in good hands bc that's what my members deserve. We look to each other as family and it has to remain that way imo.

Sonya

Participant
If/when I leave, I want my site to be in good hands bc that's what my members deserve. We look to each other as family and it has to remain that way imo.
Agreed! I've been running my forum for 17 years now. Sometimes the frustration level and work load are high and I wonder if it's worth the trouble. Other times I find my interest wanes in our central topic. I think about leaving and selling it to someone else every few years, but every offer I've had has left me concerned about what would happen to the community as a whole. I think we have a pretty special group of people who think of each other as friends/family. I'd really hate for it to turn into YetAnotherTravelBookingSite(TM) like many of our competitors who have sold over the years.

Arkel

Aspirant
I still have my board floating around, simply because the site sits on my webserver that provides other sites, so I don't see a need to delete it since I could use resources and code snippets I applied to my board.

But well it died with a bang overnight, I must inform that you shan't trust anyone from a steam game. Period. I could've kept it going but people kept dropping out, simply because there are so many gaming communities that are more developed, I didn't have the time and luxury to work on it.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Chenyneh Kween ⚧
...I've seen this pattern quite a lot ... It keeps 'running' in a technical sense (as if on autopilot), but the admin and staff are MIA.

...So how does this work?

How can a forum or site owner somehow keep the site running fine but never decide to visit their own domain ever again?

...What's the logic behind this anyway?
It often doesn't involve *logic* per se ... Often times it's the circumstances that propel a forum owner/administrator towards the concept of MIA.

For instance - I lost interest in http://jpicforum.info due to an extended writers block. Also I've had to rebuild the forum twice due to inept webhosting and to be perfectly honest ==> Uneducated forum administration by yours truly :( See https://theadminzone.com/threads/horrid-issue-with-hostv-have-i-lost-my-sites-help-please.770145 for example... There was several thousand posts lost as I attempted to rebuild from a corrupted database backup. It was demoralizing - utterly demoralizing. Bad stuff. Infuriating stuff.. And that's just one example of inept webhosting/ uneducated forum admining...

Most recently though - I'm in the process of rebuilding/redesigning the forum and hope to have it online in the next couple weeks or so. New domain is http://poetryincolor.online/forum/ ... It's a work-in-progress - so excuse the mess. It'll be interesting to see if there will be any new member participation once I start promoting it again. At the end of the day - it'll be a good looking forum anyway. Pretty in purple LOL

But yeah... Many reasons why a forum owner/administrator could just ==> POOF. VANISH.. MIA!!! :canttalk:

J.

tekboi

XF Student
People get sick, have jobs, have extenuating circumstances etc...

Unless your forum is providing a roof over your head (I'm sure it's not), then you will probably have other priorities. Sometimes they take over and leave you little to no time to manage a forum.

Let's face it. You REALLY have to want to be a forum owner in order to stick with it and keep it successful. There is little to no reward for what most of us do. Sometimes the novelty of owning a forum just fades. Especially if it isn't as successful as you want it to be.

Johnny101

Participant
That's what the former owner of my forum did just walked away and left all of us members to wonder what was happening until I told him I wanted it. Took me a year to convince him to turn it over to me.

Last edited:

suineg

Aspirant
That's what the former owner of my forum did just walked away and left all of us members to wonder what was happening until I told him I wanted it. Took me a year to convince him to turn it over to me.
At least you got yours to respond.

I could tell my last forum owner was not loving it any longer and offered to take over several times and he said no. We log on one day to find out we had been sold to a bigger site that didn't quite align with our needs.

I set up a forum that week and we have all moved over completely from the old forum. The guy paid a considerable sum for it based on the 1.6M page hits a month and I get even more and have not ran a single ad since we have decided to go donation based. I am paid up for almost an entire year off our initial drive to include all server costs. I haven't paid the year off totally because I am sitting on a "war chest" of cash in case we have some hardware needs.