How can social media help in education?

martindam

Aspirant
Social media in education refers to the practice of using social media platforms as a way of enhancing the education of students. Social media is defined as "a group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content".

Julie Encabo

Participant
It's common for many students to be challenged by the same learning concept or course assignment. Social media can help centralize the collective knowledge of an entire class to make studying and communicating more efficient for everyone.
Designate a course or study group hashtag, such as #Bio101Finals.
Start a contact list or group for the class to collaborate and share study tips.
Invite professors who use social media to follow the group conversation or join chats.

martindam

Aspirant
As the utilization of innovation and online networking turned out to be more common, instructors and guardians alike needed to keep it out of the classroom for expect that it would be excessively diverting.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
On the flip side, the e-learning community largely doesn't care about social media. Moodle, especially, doesn't care.

Harry Pings

Aspirant
Social media can guide students online through any news. It helps to transfer the important data among each other.

Denis Chandler

Aspirant
Hello. If you are a student, then you are clearly tired of writing essays every day. Here's the site <removed spammy link> which will write essays for you! Prices are not very big, and the service and quality of work is excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddox

Habitué
Social Media has degraded education. People can't spell, can't string more than a few words together, are fed 'fake news' through SM and lap it up as though it were heaven sent. The only thing that SM has taught people, is to be obnoxious and disrespectful to others and cheat to advance themselves. It has brought about a culture of pathetic attitudes such as students having to have 'quiet rooms' with counsellors because they can't handle the stress of exams and the like. They spend too much time in front of computers instead of getting out into the real world and learn some useful life skills, such as how to open a Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pie tin

We are fast becoming a nanny nation of people - 'they' (who are 'they'?) say times have changed; you bet they have. I cannot believe how young people come out of schools not knowing the basics. We need less SM and more life skills being taught in schools and other educational establishments so that when these youngsters leave they can handle 'real life'. If they grew up in the times that I grew up in, they would curl up in a corner and fade away. SM meh!

;)

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Social Media has degraded education. People can't spell, can't string more than a few words together, are fed 'fake news' through SM and lap it up as though it were heaven sent. The only thing that SM has taught people, is to be obnoxious and disrespectful to others and cheat to advance themselves.

I agree to a point but I don't think you can lay the blame solely at the feet of social media. Being glued to Facebook, Snapchat, and the like certainly isn't helping the situation and I do agree that smart phones generally have virtually assassinated spelling and grammar skills, but really this is the result of decades of decline in education, at least in the areas of basic language skills, reading comprehension, and critical thinking. What's worse is the trend toward legitimizing this by accepting common errors like "irregardless" and including them in today's dictionaries, not to mention the acceptance and promotion of plural pronouns to refer to the singular ("they" instead of he or she - this is absolute crap).

Maddox

Habitué
No I don't lay the blame entirely on SM but is has a huge part to play. Schools have a vital role to play, but they are being degraded and pupils are now in control of the classroom; they can't be scolded, chastised or any kind of discipline for bad behaviour - and the kids know that and exploit it. Teachers are moving into other professions because their abilities are neutered by namby pamby laws. When I was at school we were 'made' to pay attention, we were taught discipline and respect as well as the lessons. We had no safe rooms or counsellors, if we did something wrong we got a clip around the ear, the cane or belt for more serious breaches of discipline. It did me no harm, nor many of the others who I went to school with.

So whilst SM is not the culprit entirely, it shares the blame along with the degradation of discipline and respect in schools. The number of assaults on teachers grows each year, when I was at school a teacher being assaulted was unheard of.

A good friend of mine once compared society to a nuclear reactor - pull out the rods, it goes wild, push them back in it calms down; if society was a nuclear reactor then someone has taken the rods out and thrown them away. Distressing times and I honestly and genuinely have concern about the future because these kids will someday being running (or ruining) everything and as of now they haven't a clue.

BTW I don't condemn ALL kids, there are some (very few) who want to become productive citizens and be an asset as opposed to a liability.

;)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
You know how we all complain about how SM is killing forums? It's also killing e-learning - not just for the reasons above, but also because it continues to teach a dopamine addiction cycle is a way of life. That instant gratification can legitimately exist and that effort isn't required.

martin smith

Enthusiast
The social media can help in education provides students with the ability to get more useful information, to connect with learning groups and other educational systems that make education convenient so this Social network tools afford students and institutions with multiple opportunities to improve learning methods