Hosting photos and galleries - options?

Discussion in 'Blogs, Wikis, and other CMP's' started by Ingenious, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+153
    What are my options for hosting my photo output in a way that's slick, easy to navigate and a good user experience?

I've never really liked in-forum galleries but happy to consider XF media gallery - but does anyone have an example of a photo site with a gallery section I can browse? (IPB is not an option as my forum runs on XF - though I would not discount running IPB on it's own just for the media side if it was the better option).

My static content is in Wordpress - is there any major add-on for WP that does galleries well? Adding photos to blog posts is fine but they're not centralised and organised in one place.

I have considered Instagram which of course is in mass use and allows people to share stuff easily - but the problem is it does nag you if you're not a member, to join, and this ruins the experience for me. Similarly, Flickr (which I used the Pro version for years) is - or at least was - practically unusable as a guest without constant "Register now" nagging for guests. Similar for 500px.

It's important that my readers can see photos without being bothered by nagging, pop-ups, adverts etc. Maybe that's unrealistic and Instagram is the way forward and people will just need to register?

Are there still self-hosting options for photo galleries or have these died in the face of Instagram and the likes?

2. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+569
    You can check out Chevereto.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.