Hosting Managers

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Taylor J, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Okay so I'm about to go ahead and get service from Vultr for a server. I'm doing this to host a personal website and maybe a few other sites in the future but to also learn how to manage a server myself.

I do plan to learn how to do everything by hand using ssh and editing config files manually but I do want something to fall back onto when I'm in a bind or need to fix something faster than my slow self can using a command line.

I've been debating on using something free or just paying the $15 a month for cpanel/whm (I do love me some cpanel and whm). But was wondering are there any free options out there that do compare? To be honest the $15 is kind of a deal, most other providers charge anywhere from $20 to $30 a month. Add that onto the already cheap price per month of the package I'd be getting (forgot what it's called but it's the $10 tier) and that's actually a very good price per month for a web server.

2. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+23
    Taylor J,

First I have to say its great to learn command line and management the server but never host a serious website/email on the server which are learning from/with. It's coming from a personal experience :D.

Personally I would never go with cPanel/WHM, especially afther their recent pricing update which will come into effect soon. IMO $15 for one account is ridiculous!!!!

So what would be the options?

Free:
    Again I would not recommend. When something is free, it is offered as is. Therefore, it would be a huge risk however, if you have a company with developers who know what they are doing that would be a different story.

As a free option I found Froxlor. You can take a look at it here : https://www.froxlor.org/

Paid:

1- My personal choice which I am running on two of my servers is DirectAdmin. DirectAdmin has gone a long way and now it has become an advanced hosting panel. Its developed by a wellknown Canadian company and it supports many more operating systems and webservers compared to cPanel.

I always recommend OpenLiteSpeed (which is not supported by cPanel) and DirectAdmin to whoever that asks me.

There are some companies which are offering DirectAdmin for a very cheap prices with their service. For example the company which I am working with offers a 2GB RAM / 1 Core CPU Cloud server with DirectAdmin for $9.99 ( AiONETS Cloud Solutions ). Try to contact them with Chat or Ticket for DirectAdmin and cloud server pricing.

2. Plesk: it comes with good options like Application controls, but personaly I have had many issues with this panel after updates and I would never use it again.

And for Operating system:
    I would recommend FreeBSD. Compared to Linux instances I would prefer FreeBSD as the first priority for me is security (or maybe I am more comfortable with it... its totally a personal choice).

But please be aware that for some Panels you will be obliged to use a certain OS.

Good luck :)

3. overcast

overcast Adherent

+53
    If you want something say that works from SSH and also give you git like deployments, then maybe Flynn and Caprover can be a good start.

4. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+203
    Check put Webuzo - I came from cPanel and love it! Plus at only $25 a year it's so much cheaper!

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,115
    For free control panel look at virtualmin.

6. Hentai

Hentai Enthusiast

+81
    The new pricing model seems insane. I will have to contact my host if there are any planned changes since I get my "free" WHM/Cpanel license through them.

Worse comes to worst I have used DirectAdmin in past and it was comparable. I have also heard good things about InterWorx. I hope they have transition tools to make the move easier if necessary.

7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,256
    If it's Centos, CWP. Free version, and the Pro version is only $1.49/month. Most of the functions of Cpanel and more, including https://softaculous.com Setting it up does require you to have a bit of knowledge though. One big plus is it can import Cpanel account backups.

I've used VirtualMin/Webmin, and prefer CWP, just a lot less hoops to jump through, and the end user interface is very easy

8. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Thank you all for the suggestions! So far I'm actually very impressed by the CWP since CentOS is what I'd be using and it looks amazing.

9. bilbo baggins

bilbo baggins Aspirant

+4
    Vultr actually offer a free version of Plesk for 3 domains, it's essentially exactly the same as the paid version but with the 3 domain limit.

10. Gianni Marinho

Gianni Marinho Neophyte

+0
    I'm in doubt about Plesk or venturing into an opensource control panel.

no one here spoke at ISPconfig. What do you think of him?

What about aaPanel? does anyone here know?

11. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+203
    I highly recommend webuzo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.