Empire
hostgator-featured-logo.jpg
Empire
aimage.prntscr.com_image_4a7f2a1c2c2e4753b702664f8638b5a2.png
hostgator-featured-logo.jpg

Hostgator

Very cheap hosting provider
aimage.prntscr.com_image_4a7f2a1c2c2e4753b702664f8638b5a2.png hostgator-featured-logo.jpg
  1. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    Hi All

I have just experienced an issue with Hostgator which I am not sure if many of you are aware of. After sending a Mass PM/Email to all my members (6400) I discovered my site went down, I then went on to receive an email on my personal email account from them stating that I had breached their TOS... see email below
    -------------------------
    --------------------------------------------

Has anyone else come across this? The Rule has been in place for over a year and they have only just started to enforce it I have been informed... They seem to be having a lot of issues with forums at the moment and this rule...

Anyone got any ideas what I can do, now I have my site up I don't want to lose it again...

2. Jura

Jura Devotee

+232
    Send emails slower and never mass pm. Your forum software should allow you to adjust the speed/cycle.

3. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS All About Da-Cookies.

+97
    Mass PM should not matter, the spam of the emails obviously would. It states in the email the issue was the emails due to not wanting to be blacklisted. .. ..

is it not possible for you to PM those that are active. .. . actually .. if they have all set up to receive emails upon PM... LOL. yeah.. you may want to work this one out before you do any mass pm/emails...

4. crabbyguy

crabbyguy Enthusiast

+1
    Oh .... spam is a great problem for many web masters and companies.

5. matt4

matt4 Ferrari Fan!

+0
    Nothing wrong with sending mass PM's. No host should suspend someone for mass PM sending!

Some hosts have rules on how many messages you can send a hour. Make sure you check them before you order :)

6. SageStone

SageStone just david(:

+28
    Most people have it set to email them when they receive a PM, therefore it is still considered mass emailing.

7. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    So how would one, go about limiting this on my forum? is there a setting in the AdminCP?

I am using IPB btw...

Any help would be grateful...

8. Libertate

Libertate Devotee

+16
    Since I have several sites on hostgator I am content that they did this.

Remember, your site is hosted with many other sites on the same IP address.

Most mail receiving mail servers would block a system which sends them dozens of e-mails to them within seconds.

That would block all sites' mail to that recipient mail server which are on the same shared servers as yours.

Presuming your members used yahoo, hotmail and gmail accounts, 6,400 messages would definitely hit these sites, and black list the shared IP address.

Although I send out mailings, are rarely send out more than 100 within 5 minutes. Yes, I understand the process would take several hours to send out to a larger group, but you are not just "kind" to other shared site owners, but also protecting yourself from automatic bounces/black holed messages.

9. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    I am not saying that I disagree with it, I am saying that I have sent out mailings previously and never received any notification that I was breaching Terms of Service. Having taken over the forum, I was unaware of this condition and when asked when it was added they informed me it was added a couple of months ago and has only recently been enforced, how difficult is it to send out an email to say that they are breaching the rules.

I quite agree that they need to take action but the way around it is to inform people of what they are planning to do. I host several sites on Hostgator and have never had an issue with them before, but when you suddenly get informed that you have breached terms of service for something you had no idea about, it does annoy me... I also went through a period during the year where I had 250 members join within an hour, with an automated email sent out to validate their account there is no way to manage it, there needs to be some exception to this.

10. SageStone

SageStone just david(:

+28
    Hostgator probably received a complaint from a provider, or implemented some sort of system to track email sends-per-hour, or simply looked at the mail queue.

11. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    After contacting them, I did ask how long the rule has been in place and got the response that it had been in the terms of service for several months and they actually started enforcing it last month... It was also almost instant when the site went down...

12. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+615
    They have scripts in place for shutting you down automatically, I once had an application that was hacked by some vulnerably and it maxed out the servers CPU load...I was shutdown in a snap of a finger and emailed instantly (different host then).

13. Libertate

Libertate Devotee

+16
    I did not think of that as I have never been blessed with such "problem", but your point is very valid.

I would love to hear what HostGator responded back to you regarding your inquiry in such scenario.

14. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+615
    That type of "scenario" is usually because of something the admin advertised, or alerted people to on a site like "Digg" or the likes, and then got a flood of people coming over to register, under normal conditions this would rarely if not ever happen.

15. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    On that scenario they suggested upgrading to a dedicated server...

16. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    Actually that was due to the fact it was during the Rugby World Cup and New Zealand had just lost, so people wanted to comment and talk about it...

17. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+615
    Yes, that's why I said "under normal conditions this would rarely if not ever happen." ;) if you have a site that continually gets registrations and heavy traffic, then it's best to go the way of dedicated or VPS.

18. SageStone

SageStone just david(:

+28
    For that scenario, I would agree with them 100%. If I were your host I would do the same thing that they are advising you to do - move on to a dedicated server.

Shared hosting, honestly, is meant for more "casual" hostees, or small businesses. Once you start getting thousands of members and unique visitors, many emails being sent out per hour, and high bandwidth usage, any host will ask you to upgrade to a dedicated server or get off their shared servers. There is no such thing as unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth, or unlimited resource usage - just how far a host will go before notifying you of such large usage. As a person who has been in the hosting business for years, as both a provider and technical support, I know what kind of toll those things take on a server and problems it will cause for the other people on the server.

At the very least you should consider moving up to a VPS (Virtual Private Server,) which will give you some fluctuation. But if you want to be sending out mass emails like that, you will need to go to a dedicated server without doubt. You might want to look into The Planet, FDCServers, or SoftLayer for a dedicated server.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  19. getofmeland

getofmeland Aspirant

+0
    The problem being is I would love to go to a dedicated server but don't think I will be able to fulfil the cost of doing so without being seriously out of pocket...

What is the rough price of these services...

20. SageStone

SageStone just david(:

+28
    You can get a dedicated server for under $200 per month from the companies I listed. You could put up some advertisements on your website to help pay the costs, or ask your members for donations.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.