Help with naming a forum.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Flexin, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+137

IMO putting something useful on the main domain index page would come first.

2. Flexin

Flexin Enthusiast

+41
    Yes. That is on the list of things to do before advertising the site.

One thing I need to figure out is what I need to set up a main page so that it will display the 10 newest posts and so on? I have made basic pages before but that was something I never needed to do so I haven't learned how to do that yet.

James

3. GalPal

GalPal Participant

+10
    Congratulations on choosing a domain name! Here's some thoughts as you are brain storming for your other websites.

1. Keep the domain name as short as possible. I learned on my first rodeo that four parts to a domain name was WAY too long. I strive now for two and maximum three parts to the domain name.

2. If the domain name you are wanting isn't available, sometimes the use of an adjective or noun at the end of your favorite name might still work. Such as AutoAddictInc. I just recently was able to purchase the domain name I wanted with a slight adjustment by adding the acronym "Inc." My domain name still works while remaining short and snappy!

3. If you do come up with an awesome domain name, consider buying the .org that matches the .com. This will preserve your brand name. I've seen this happen before when someone came up with a good name and didn't take up the .org with it and then another person comes along and uses the .org. This keeps your brand protected and your potential members getting to the right website the first time.

4. A very small consideration is how does your website name look as an acronym? The Admin Zone is TAZ, of course. This is not really too important but I do think there is some validation to it.

*Sometimes you can adjust the spelling and it will still work. I've seen addict spelled many ways for the perfect domain name.

Other ideas such as; realm, insider and extreme are great to add on to a short phrase. The word "extreme" is my personal favorite. Very useful either by "extreme" or "xtreme". *I usually by domains with both spellings to protect my brand if using "extreme".

As, steveinid, mentioned using a thesaurus is an excellent tool for inspiration. I use a thesaurus often when I'm trying to come up with the ultimate domain.

"Ultimate" there is another good word..."Ultimate Auto House", "Ultimate Auto Zone", "Auto Zone Insider", "Extreme Gear Head", "Auto Addict Realm", "Fanatic Auto Addict".

I think I like the play on the suffix sounds with "Fanatic Auto Addict".:geek:

I like the name you chose!:bouncy:

gearheadcentral :jiggy:

4. Flexin

Flexin Enthusiast

+41
    I now have XenPorta set up as my main page.

James

5. CtrlAltDelicious

CtrlAltDelicious Bayerische Motoren Werke

+168
    Looks great! I LOVE your header image.

I would join if I was a carguy. ;)

6. Flexin

Flexin Enthusiast

+41
    Thanks. That image was made by PoetJC.

Its never too late to become one. :)

James