HELP! - Printer colour (I'm English) problem.

Discussion in 'Computers and Hardware' started by zappaDPJ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    Did you update your Windows yesterday?
    When my PC went asleep automatically I could not wake it up with the mouse or keyboard for awhile.
    After yesterday's Win update it does not give any trouble anymore.
    Magic!!!

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,251
    I think I'm now updated :)

3. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+129
    Sorry for the tardy reply. Life got busy :(
    I'm in two minds to recommend editing the registry unless you have to have the printer on this machine, or just have to make this work.
    The registry advice is basically how to properly remove all traces of printer drivers completely from the machine, so you can start at proper basics (without having to re-install Windows).

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,251
    That might be useful.

I think my mistake might have been to allow Epson to update both printer's internal operating systems. I think that may have allowed one of the printers to detect two non-Epson ink cartridges and write something into the registry causing both printers to fail on those two colours. It's conjecture both on my part and a techie who had a look but we both came to the same conclusion independently.

5. phatcows

phatcows Enthusiast

+129
    Okay, here's the list.
    Note 1: You should create a System Restore point and backup all registry keys before trying these steps.
    Note 2: These steps may be a little different (but largely the same), depending on whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

Rename the spool printer and driver files
    Go to the following folders and rename them by adding .old or old to current the name.
    If you have difficulty renaming the following folders you may need to boot into safe mode.

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
    C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

Removing any registry values created by third party applications
    1. Start Registry Editor (Run-> regedit)

2. Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86 (or Windows x64)

View the list of subfolders (subkeys). There should only be the following:

Drivers
    Print Processors

3. If there are any subkeys other than Drivers and Print Processors, delete them.

Removing the registry entry for printer drivers

1. Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86 (or Windows x64) \Drivers

The registry entries for the printer drivers that are installed on the computer are stored in the Version-x subkey or subkeys,
    where x is a number (typically 2 or 3, however I have 3 and 4).

2. Export the Version-x subkey or subkeys. (File-> Export-> <filename> -> Save)

3. Expand the Version-x subkey or subkeys, and then delete the printer driver entries.

Remove third party registry entries for default print monitors
    1. Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

2. Export the Monitors sub-key or subkeys. (File-> Export-> <filename> -> Save)

4. Delete any sub-keys related to the printer you are attempting to remove.

5. Exit Registry Editor.

6. Disconnect the printer cable or wifi connection to printer from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Reinstall any software that came with your printer.
    Attach it only when prompted to during setup.

Then knowing my luck, nothing will be fixed!

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,251
    Thanks. I'll give this a try later this week and let you know the result.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.