HELP! - Printer colour (I'm English) problem.

Discussion in 'Computers and Hardware' started by zappaDPJ, Jun 11, 2019.

1. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    In 30+ years I've yet to encounter a problem on a PC that I can't solve but this one is driving me insane and I can't waste any more time on it.

The problem is simple; all my printers are missing colours when printing from one particular PC.

If I attach any of the printers to another PC everything is as it should be. If I attach any of the printers to this one particular PC it appear not to use the black or magenta cartridge regardless of what application I use to print.

I've tried printing using WiFi and a direct connection. I've tried deleting and reinstalling all of the printer drivers. I've even tried printing with nothing but a generic Windows 10 driver.

I imagine a total reinstall of Windows 10 will fix the issue but that's not going to happen. Any ideas?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,068
    It could be the print driver that is overruling the application if you go to main settings of the printer you should be able to set it to color. At my company i have the issue with a Xerox if i tell in the application color its still b/w. If i then in the application print screen color its still b/w but if i then do more settings i get more option and one tab is to enable color. I would look if it’s deeper in the settings. If its a managed printer (web interface) look there if the pc is excluded from printing color.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    I removed all the printer drivers which forced Windows to install a generic driver when I plugged the device into a USB port. Unfortunately the same problem persisted.

4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,004
    Have you checked the colour profile on that computer?

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    I think so and I seem to have a lot of them, 50+. However each device/printer appears to be using 'Automatic (Recommended)'.

6. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+469
    kinda off-the-wall... but:

Are you using the same cable? What kind of cable?

--don

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    I've tried two USB cables in different ports and WiFi, all with the same result.

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Are all those printers the same brand?
    If they are then try a borrowed different brand.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    All made by Epson and your suggestion is something I am looking at because I've had a tin foil hat moment tonight. One of the printers is using none branded ink cartridges. I'm trying to work out if those cartridges are the two colours that are missing. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll post an image of the problem.

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Maybe time to replace them with not new cartridges but a new printer which has the full cartridges?
    No, I'm not joking.
    Those cartridges don't have much ink in them but the printer head is clean doesn't need cleaning and cleaning and ....

Edit:
    Checking the price(converted to USD) of my Epson printer: $31.96

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  11. darnoldy

darnoldy Curmudgeon

+469
    Hmmm..

It sounds like every other byte is not making it to the printer... the CMYK data is 32 bits (4 bytes) and you're missing M & K. that can happen when a pin is missing/broken on a parrallel cable-- but shouldn't happen with either USB or WiFi. Since the problem is specific to a computer, not a printer, I don't think its an ink cartridge problem--otherwise the problem would be specific to one printer.

What happens if you print a greyscale image from that computer?

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    I've been playing around with some interesting if not weird results. I'll try and upload a more detailed tomorrow but thanks for all your suggestions :)

13. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,765
    Maybe don't use that PC for printing? :p

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.