Shared Help needed with Website Downtime issues

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by Oprezy, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    Hello admins and members of this forum. Am not new here but i haven't been active either because am a newbie and can't really help anyone:(
    However, i have a problem with my website and i hope to get some help here.
    To understand the intensity of what am saying, i had to do some background check to make sure that am not under attack(DDOS)

I will go ahead and relay my problems here hoping to get some answers...

Hello, am messaging because i have tried to solve this problem on my own but found out that i could not do that.
    The images below explains it.

My website jackobian, one of the very few websites hosted on a webhost i created is facing serious issues of downtime.

Started some weeks ago and initially, i thought it was all about traffic but considering we have enough bandwith and about 3000 visitors/25,000 pageviews daily, i don't see the cause for such consistent downtimes.

A closer look at the Cpanel suggests that the CPU usage, virtual memory and entry processes are always sky-high.
    I don't know how to increase any of those. I have already increased bandwith to 200gb and currently, am lost at things to do next.

I am hoping
    - to get tips on how to stabilize this
    - to get help on how to extend CPU usage, virtual memory and entry processes for this account or any other.

Any help given will be appreciated as this is tearing me apart.
    Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon

Images

Screenshot (170).png Screenshot (171).png

2. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon 127.0.0.1

+92
    Hello Oprezy. Just wandering, are you using shared hosting or a low end vps?

3. Justin M

Justin M Aspirant

+4
    Do you have shell access?

4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    For starters, when I visited your website it was fine.

Next thing I noticed is that you have about 4,000 threads. 1 member online and 13 guests. Looking at your recent posts, I saw about 25 active threads in the last 24 hours, none of which had an unusual amount of pageviews. So the math doesnt seem likely to me that you would be getting 25,000 pageviews & 3,000 visitors a day.

Assuming your numbers of 25000 pageviews is correct... Im no expert on this but.... My guess is that you may be getting ddos attacks or something similar hitting your site.

I would suggest you contact your host about this possibility.

5. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    thanks for coming to my help.
    i will like to address the issue of hosting first.

Presently, am hosting Jackobian on a private web host i created with Inmotionhosting.
    For now, It's just for me and a few of my friends and am by far the largest user on the server(bandwith-wise).

6. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    What software are you using?
    Do you have lots of mods installed?
    Are you running more than one site on the server?

7. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    you are right. there were very few members online when you visited because that was in the night over here.
    Timezone = GMT+1 and most of the members are already asleep + threads are no more active.

Am sharing this to streamline the options

analytics.png
    Am not discarding DDOS, just saying that we may blame it on that while the actual reason is hidden elsewhere

Xenforo
    yes, i have quite a good number of add-ons
    and yes, am running about 4 active websites on the server

8. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    Not saying it is, but that might be part of your problem depending on the shared host setup. Some shared hosts are not setup that well to use InnoDB instead of MyISAM for tables, XenForo like WBB uses InnoDB, plus you use lots of mods making things even more resource intensive.

Depends a lot how well your shared host has InnoDB configured for using, it can make a big difference. You're also running 4 sites on a shared host? No wonder you're going over resource usage, just running XenForo alone with loads of mods is more than enough for a shared host

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Sure -- I just dont know what else would cause (the equivilant of) every thread you have to be viewed 6 times in one day.

10. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    thanks for prompt reply...
    I have disabled most of my add-ons.
    is that enough?

or should i also delete their files, templates,etc through cpanel and admin panel?

[i know how it sounds:sick:]

11. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    you may be right here because i equally get a lot of database error messages like...

12. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    If getting frequent DB errors logged. I would suspect your shared host doesn't have InnoDB setup well enough that XenForo uses for tables

I've had same problems running Both XF and WBB because they use InnoDB and my shared host is setup crap for it. Yet I can run phpBB that uses MyISAM tables and never log a single error, nor suffer any downtime

13. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    thanks for the info.
    But am sure that moving to a new host is not advisable at this point, at least until i exhaust other options.
    Meanwhile, i use www.inmotionhosting.com and as they are fairly popular, i want to know if anyone have faced similar problems with them.
    If you have, was migration the solution you found?

14. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,045
    You should check the error logs and copy what's in them posted on XenForo and let somebody "who knows what the logs mean" tell you the answer. As a person in the know can spot if the problem lies with how your host has DB settings configured for InnoDB. Tell you if things need be increased on limits e.t.c. And if your host refuses to do it - then find another shared host, or you might need go VPS.

But you should get the error logs looked at first by somebody, because there's nothing you can do if the problem lies with how InnoDB is configured you're using. And you'll be very lucky if a shared host will change any MySQL config settings for you, that's shared hosting for you (very limited in what they will change for you).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  15. Oprezy

Oprezy Neophyte

+0
    Thanks all for your suggestions and contributions and i will act based on the advice i received here.

16. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,067
    If you don't want them then disabling them is not enough, have to uninstall them then delete their files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.