Help me decide

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by xso, May 3, 2005.

1. xso

xso Aspirant

+0
    well my clients want start a forum its abt IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) iam confused what forum software to be used :rolleyes:

2. Fanatyk

Fanatyk wordpress.org.pl

+1
    If you can pay for it - take the IPB or vB
    if not - smf is good :)

3. xso

xso Aspirant

+0
    what about phpbb ?

4. Fanatyk

Fanatyk wordpress.org.pl

+1
    Realy, I do not wish You to use phpBB even if you were my bigest enemy ;)
    It's not secure, it's popular, but it's not good one.
    Really there are many better scripts.

5. Dietrich

Dietrich Developer

+2
    Who sais phpBB is not secure? Imo phpBB is nowadays on of the most secure (most tested) forum packages available. phpBB has had many security fixes the last year, because hackers started to get interested in it. The same could have happened with WBB or any other free forum package, but phpBB is just the most used.

6. sen

sen Aspirant

+0
    Secunia lists four unfixed problems with phpBB.

7. Smartys

Smartys FluxBB Developer

+0
    And it's wrong: notice the versions on those things, they were all fixed ages ago.
    One reason I don't like these things: they're fast to report an issue, but slow to report a fix.

8. MMM

MMM Rent This Space...

+13
    If it's going to be a professional site, then choose vB. Otherwise choose ipb, but if ipb costs more then $100 then go the extra distance and stay with vB :tup:

9. Cael

Cael Enthusiast

+0
    I personally dislike that I have to patch phpbb every few months or so, whereas vB, it could sometimes run upto a whole year without new patches.

10. Lee Davies

Lee Davies Habitué

+2
    For starters, phpBB has been the focus of hackers since it became popular - at least 3 or 4 years ago, not within the past year.

Because of all the security vunerables since I started using forums (7 years ago at least) phpBB has frequently had major (not minor) holes that where extremely server (almost on par with CGI Ikonboard v2.6 where a person could just enter a URL of the board, add something to it, and get the password for ANY account).

I realise a majority of them have been fixed, but no other forum script has had so many problems.

Of course, I'm biased. I use XMB and vBulletin.

XMB is an excellent free script (www.xmbforum.com) and for any site has the basic requirements.

As for vBulletin - well, excellence all the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.