Header bidding!?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by kontrabass, Oct 26, 2017.

1. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    I get several emails per week from different ad networks/exchanges whatever they're called, telling me we're missing out on a 45%+ increase on ad revenue because we need to use their header bidding solution.

I've been selling ads on our forum since 2000, but I need your help on this header bidding stuff. Is this something we need to do? We direct-sell maybe 10% of our inventory and pass the rest to AdSense (we use DFP). With Adsense, we get like $1.50 eCPM for our top leaderboard, and $.30 - $.60 eCPM for other ad slots on the page.

Thanks for your help all!

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  2. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+261
    Who are these ad exchanges, can you give some examples?

I'm very suspicious of anyone who can make a claim to increase my revenue when they don't know what my revenue is or what I'm doing to get it.

3. kontrabass

kontrabass Participant

+24
    Recently, it's Sortable.com, Snigel Web, Crispox, etc.

Here's one I got today from Snigel Web

I wanted to send you a quick note to emphasise the negative impact that could affect your ad revenue and CPMs by not implementing "ads.txt" to your website. Google have launched the ads.txt initiative in order to 'clean up' the ad industry to allow more transparency between publishers and advertisers and to avoid ad fraud. Read more about the initiative - here

What most publishers don't realise is that failure to implement this file will result in a decline in AdSense and other network advertisers CPMs and revenue as more and more advertisers exclusively only buy inventory on sites with the ads.txt file in place. Most people will not realise the cause for this so I am writing to you to share this piece of information as a publisher who runs a significant amount of revenue through AdSense.

As 'header bidding' continues to dominate the way large publishers are now serving ads we have experienced a massive incline in CPMs and revenue, on average by as much as 45% - 55% with the publishers that we help better monetize and traffic their display advertising using our sophisticated header bidding and ad operations team. .....

4. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+261
    First, you don't need any help from them to impliment ads.txt, just look up some guides online on how to do it.
    Second, Google didn't launch Ads.txt, the IAB did, so that's a red flag to me right there.
    I don't know the other companies you listed, but their websites didn't impress. They're probably just another layer of bidding above Adsense (basically, another ad network to sit in front of Adsense), but they only want your header banner.

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,827
    Claims of 45%+ seem somewhat unlikely. 20% or thereabouts is a more common figure given by publishers who are willing to divulge such information but very few are.

My fairly limited understanding of header bidding or pre-bidding or whatever it's being called now is that it's not easy to implement and it will slow your site down. I've read suggestions (probably anecdotal in nature) that sites slow to such an extent visitors install ad-blockers which would obviously negate any benefits. Given the way it works I can see why that might happen.

There are other issues including a current lack of industry standards and concerns about the amount of visitor information you are likely to be giving away. That said it does appear there is some potential to increase ad revenue.

I would also be very interested to hear from anyone who has implemented this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Tess

Tess Neophyte

+2
    Do I understand the premise correctly? A publisher has several ad networks at their disposal and uses DFP or something similar to track which will pay the most depending on the visitor? I’m curious if anyone is implementing this into forums as well! Have you found any more information or investigated further kontrabasskontrabass?

7. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    Hi all, I know this thread is old but we're running header bidding on our Xenforo sites. We saw lift as little as 50% but as high as 110%. It really shocked us to see that even when we placed less ads than what we had in AdSense, we still made a lot more. Header bidding is the way to go!

• List
  8. HWS

HWS TAZ Member

+140
    All medium to large sites without header bidding are missing substantial revenue these days.

It is not very complicated to integrate it. Just use this: http://prebid.org

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    This is correct, however, getting the right ad stack matters too. Usually, we recommend bigger sites join higher quality networks since the pay is better and you can limit how many ads you have on your site for a better UX. Adsense seems to plaster some forums and their ad quality is questionable.

10. ripptech

ripptech Professional Lurker

+40
    So if I understand this correctly, in order to make use of this header bidding/prebid, you need to be (approved, firstly, the hard part) ...signed up with and utilizing other ad networks besides only adsense? Or did I not get how this works. It also seems like a lot of work to define every single ad slot in DFP separately (for XF that can be MANY) to make this work? I'd like to "get with the times" and figure out how to do this....

11. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    You are absolutely correct. It took us an entire year to get approval from all the networks that worth their salt. On top of that, the process was rigorous, and we notice that disqualification is very easy for sites that have even semi-questionable content (i.e. swear words, no adult content). The biggest hurdle I see with some of the sites we've encountered is the lack of traffic / lack of impressions. You're not going to get even a note of consideration if you have under 500k - 1 million impressions per month as a single site.

I wholeheartedly disagree that implementation of Prebid isn't complicated, it's extensive, complex, and the nuances are specific to each site. Otherwise, everyone on this board would be running Prebid right now.

To give you an idea, we have about 6-7 networks, times that by 8-10 slots per site (we count desktop and mobile units separately), and if you have more than one site... I think it's obvious the work needed. Anytime something changes from the network side, you have to update your Prebid code. It's essentially a full-time job, if you know what you're doing.

We're not even at the optimization part yet. There's bid increments, adjustments that will help you yield higher, and of course, mobile ads versus desktop. If your site is responsive (like all XF powered sites), there is a different outline per ad network that you must adhere to.

For Adsense and in-house banner ads, it's advised that you use DFP to manage your direct campaigns (ads / sponsorship banners that you sell on your site that you handle). So that is another upkeep aspect to consider. And unlike Adsense, pay out for these ad networks range from 60-90 days so if you're dependent on your revenue, you may need some runway until you get your payments.

I don't mean to be overwhelming, this is just a preview of the type of work we do to ensure that our sites run on header bidding.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,409
    Can you suggest some networks?

13. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+25
    Hi there, many of these networks no longer accept new accounts or sites to be added. They usually work with their current publishers. If you DM me, I can send you a list that I know of.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.