Have you had your shots?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nev_Dull, May 23, 2019.

1. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,059
    For anyone anxious about getting a vaccination for themselves or their children, here's something to brighten your day....

On this day (May 23) in 1918 was the first case of Spanish Flu in the U.S. A young private reported to the Fort Riley, Kansas hospital, complaining of flu symptoms. By noon, there were over a hundred others, and the numbers grew exponentially. Forty-eight soldiers died at Fort Riley that spring before the cause was linked to a new strain of influenza.

As we know, it was the worst epidemic in American history. Hospitals overflowed and death carts roamed the streets as they did during the Black Death in Europe. Most of the victims ended up in mass graves. In the end, over 40 million people world wide died of the Spanish flu, 600,000 of them in the U.S.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+992
    They're saying 50-100 million now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

And:
    See? They shoulda got their shots.;)

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,395
    I contracted Russian flu in the late 70s. At the time I thought it was going to kill me. It didn't but I never fully recovered and was eventually diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.). In later life I've been diagnosed with Dysautonomia, a disorder of autonomic nervous system (ANS). The current thinking is this is linked to or as a result of contracting M.E.

Long story short, get your shots ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.