Have You Ever Meet Someone From An Online Community?

Discussion in 'Members & Staff' started by HIM, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Yes - I Married Them!

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No - STRANGER DANGER!

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. HIM

HIM Fan

+34
    I could go into a big huge long talk about stranger danger and the person behind the IP could eat you and your children but we have all done this.

The biggest one being facebook. I don't think there is a person I know that hasn't meet a "stranger" off of havebook. Its so completly (not) differnt.,

But I am talking online Forums Forums. Like meeting the lovely me.... or from your own forums.

2. Exyicon

Exyicon @Exyicon

+21
    I don't do it mainly because I don't really have the convenience of a car and money to drive. The one person I wanted to meet lived like a 10-12 hour drive away. No Car, and No Gas Money hits your plans hard.

3. Alex Apple

Alex Apple Lord Snowblood Apple

+47
    I married her.

Not kidding around here, either.

It was 1998-99, before forums were really around much and when much of the online interaction was on mailing lists. I'd been there a couple of years, she was fairly new but comparatively local. Met up at a gig, and that was kind of that. A risk, maybe, but no more so than many other things in life. Meeting first in a public place helped, as did actually our public online interaction amongst trusted (online) friends which helped break the ice, a lot.

Of course, life is risky, and anything could have happened I guess, but sometimes it's possible to be too cautious. Take sensible precautions, and approach meeting people with your head screwed on, and you'll be fine.

4. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha Aspirant

+0
    Wish I could. Most live in different countries.

5. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Adherent

+7
    yeah, i have-i discovered that a member of a forum i was on, who i was friends with, lived very close to me, so we met up

6. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+222
    Yes, I have met dozens of people that I've gotten to know via forums.

7. Taylor

Taylor Sexier Than You

+127
    Met a few. Nice folks. :)

8. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+119
    Yup, bit being a local community forum its a bit easier!

Have the regular xmas drink and then a few drinks during the year for the mods.

9. ShinLi

ShinLi Participant

+8
    My old co-admin and best friend who I met online years and years ago lives in England. I live in the Netherlands. Back in the summer of 2006 I flew to England and spend a week over at his place, then we flew back together and he spend a week or two here. It was so much fun, and it was fun getting to know each other in real life and spending time together. We already knew each other quite well however, we used to skype all the time (we have a skype record of non-stop skyping for 16 hours XD.) In 2010 I again flew to England and stayed in Brighton for a week with him, was also a lot of fun, and a great place to visit.

There are a lot more people from my forum who I wish I could meet.... but alas... we do not live in the same country and it would be getting rather expensive flying back and forth to others XD. Hopefully one time I can get to meet some when I go on vacation to such countries.

On a dutch aquarium forum I met more people though, also attended on forum meeting, which was a lot of fun as well.

10. HIM

HIM Fan

+34
    You say that; but will there never be an exception?

Have you just not meet the right person?
    But would you? If the opportunity arised?
    STRANGER DANGER!
    STRANGER DANANGER!
    So your very actively for it?
    Are these just local shindigs? How far have you gone?
    Same as above; how far have you gone for it?
    CHEATER!!

11. Sasuke Uchiha

Sasuke Uchiha Aspirant

+0
    Yeah, I am most of the forums I'm on I've at one time or another done a get together. It's just tough to do so when they live half across the world in England and I live in California. Though we do have a plan to do this its just one that's in the works as of now. Hopefully it'll come to fruition.

12. MannyRUA

MannyRUA Fan

+24
    Me too.

13. Taylor

Taylor Sexier Than You

+127
    Local. Within 20 miles. ^^

There were some distant ones (4 to 6 hours away), but they were in my area for other reasons.

14. TroubleBabz

TroubleBabz Aspirant

+0
    I've never "met" anyone from a forum. But, I have made a few good internet-only friendships through forums, chat sites, etc. :) One of my best friends for a long time I actually met through an old, now dead, forum, and the two of us joined a different forum and met a few other friends there.

15. kefkah

kefkah Aspirant

+0
    Yes, though I had known of them for years and known them for about six months on my forum. Met up for a beer at Pax East. Was kinda nice to put a face to the moniker.

16. AutoDuck

AutoDuck Enthusiast

+7
    I've attended a couple of get togethers with forum members. Once, in Las Vegas for a moderator only meet up, and once for a group of forum regulars in Nashville.

Awesomely fun times.

17. markwein

markwein Enthusiast

+12
    I've met a ton of people from my forum...some are customers in my business but my business also becomes a tourist destination when forum embers from other parts of the country (or world in one case) are in southern California,. We also have a meetup of sorts in West Virginia sponsored by one of our members...

18. fattony69

fattony69 Cool Guy on Taz

+26
    I've met a few members on my forum. It was a fun time by all.

19. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Post no bills

+302
    Nope. I've never met anyone from forum in RL. Nothing to do with stranger danger; I just don't like real people much.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Namorat

Namorat Fanatic

+171
    I met a women three weeks ago on the internet. We chatted a lot and after two weeks I decided to meet her, despite the danger (and the money I paid for the train ticket). It was really wonderful. I can't complain. It doesn't mean it would always be this good, though, of course.

I know what you mean.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted