Have you ever had a good member just vanish without a trace?

LordOfSpoon

Wow, they use vBulletin? The website is rather snappy, I'm impressed.
Yeah they started out on vB3 then kept upgrading all the way to vB5. At the start it was large but tight enough community where everyone knew everyone and it was nice because of that. Soon they starting getting so big that it was had to find each other, kinda like a crowed hallway. Good for the site but it made the whole thing less fun to be on.

Philpug

Aspirant
I am that way on one of the car sites. I am in and out of cars..a lot. When I have a Miata, I will be active on the site, when I sell one I go away. I was a Mod there for a while, and now just check in.

I am a believer that we need to meet people at their needs, if they want to be active, they will. No need to push them. As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...but you can make them thirsty ;). If I see that there has been someone who was active and nwo is not, I will tag them or maybe shoot them a message with a link, "did you see this?"

Splinter2

Aspirant
My forum competes with a long established one that has thousands of members, of which I used to be a member. One of the single most clear reasons for good members disappearing was by being banned. They could see the site but couldn't post and since all PMs were being read, it was almost impossible to maintain contact with that member.
On the other hand, I'm trying hard to build up our presence and to attract new members. What I find is that new members sign up and upload an avatar, which is no mean feat in itself, never to post anything at all. Or they post a few times and don't come back. To me, that's about appropriate content IE, we're not posting enough relevant stuff to attract them and stay.
People are fickle and whilst cajoling them into becoming more involved, it doesn't usually work. They have to make up their own minds.

Ummagumma

Adherent
Sadly all too often a common occurrence. Some join and stay, others leave. But agreed, it's the long standing, large posting members who disappear with no reason, that can be frustrating. Have seen it several times now and it does leave me wondering, but I suppose they have valid reasons - and not always/only about sickness and death.
Just hope they come back at some point in the future.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
The board I took over last year has this problem at the moment actually.

It stemmed from another change in management, in which they didn't like the direction. Needless to say their patience ran out.

My site has gone from over 300 members online at once, to about 10 per cent of that on a good day. I know this post isnt about the number of active users, but you don't really get that many without a good portion of them being regular active members.

I'm slowing seeing them return, but some people just get a hate on.

Staxed

Staxalicious
It's probably been like 10 years or so, but I used to be a super active admin on a very large gaming/cheating forum...I would do pretty much everything the OP posted (that's not you is it Redbot? lol). I got to the point where I felt like I wasn't being appreciated for my time as much as I should have been; that and I moved on to other games and other scenes...so I just dwindled away.