Featured Have there been any hints towards what IPS 4.3 will have?

Discussion in 'IPS' started by Alfa1, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    IPS 4.2 was a really nice release.
    Has IPS staff given any hints or remarks about what IPS 4.3 will focus on?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,010
    You haven't seen that well published roadmap that all developers other than XenForo do? :ROFLMAO:

Actually, one thing that IS supposed to be in 4.3 is an external search similar to what they dumped in Sphinx.
    I think they may have mentioned that the search will also be useful in Pages/Nexus.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    IPS 4.2 was a game changer and therefore I am wondering if IPS 4.3 will be another game changer. I did read that 4.3 may have improved search and a general improvement of existing features, so I wondered if there was more information.

I guess we can only wait and see.

4. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+506
    I believe that IPS will be sharpening the tools they've added. I know a lot of people are wanting to do more with pages, so perhaps that will see some attention given to making it easier to use; of course that is a relative term because what's easy for one person, another will struggle. Some of the apps have seen little attention, probably because of the roll out of all these new features, so I would like to see improvements and diversity with what's already there. Nothing in particular springs to mind as to what they can improve, but reading through the forums there are a lot of requests being made for different improvements.

As always, we'll have to wait and see and, hopefully, be surprised.

;)

• List
  5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,780
    Refinements to the features introduced in 4.2 should be expected. Everything else is 'nice to have' wishlist material.

Maybe some extra connections to external services for user profiles like linking to Twitch streams, and taking advantage of some performance-boosting measures for users and guests (AMP, serving better compressed assets even if it means passing them to an external processor if local libraries necessary like guetzli arent installed, serving different versions of assets depending on visitor permission/premium status...).

Honestly, forums are now pretty much done, and it's getting difficult to add features to scripts without risking with 'distractions' to take focus away from the core function of forums: discussion and discovery of discussions. Forumgoers have always been somewhat conservative, so the safest course is to refine their experience.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    You mean like Nexus/Commerce? Basically it was designed for their in house hosting and then tweaked a little and sold as a package. It's SORELY lacking in several areas a good commerce package needs. :cautious:

7. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    If you want something good it needs to be like woocommerce, magento etc. What they have now well no ifea what it needs to do.

8. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    Like Gallery and Blogs.

9. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    Gallery and Blogs are in better shape than Nexus/Commerce package is.
    I don't offer hosting, and have absolutely NO plans to EVER offer hosting... so why in the hell does my Nexus/Commerce package come hard coded with this?

Screen-Shot-2017-10-23-at-10.27.27-AM.jpg

10. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    Yeah, but the whole purpose of a suite of products/apps is to keep it all in one "basket" of developers, allowing direct interaction between all products. Nexus/Commerce seems to be a package (in house use by them) that they just bolted a few "extras" on and then threw out there to make some more money with.

11. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    Yes but the only thing you’ll need on your site is single sign on and that you can show products on your site where ever you want, that for me is a suite. Nexus is just like Resource Manager created for their own site trough in some other stuff then soled to make money. Nexus needs to be expanded so it can do more like magento etc.

12. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    There definitely is a benefit to having a store on the same platform. But it depends what you need. I dont think a forum based store will ever be as extensive as magento. But if you want something that is tightly integrated then there is a point to it. Single sign on is pretty useless. Thats not integration. IMHO integration begins with:
    - orders on forum profiles
    - related products on forum widgets
    - forum content in store.
    - one style

This is much easier to do with a store on the same platform. So if you do not need all the bells and whistles then a forum store makes sense. (and is likely loading faster than magento)

13. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Or abandon it, and instead provide a tightly integrated API experience with a proper eCommerce solution (one of the previously mentioned examples)

14. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    Which they wont' do as it's not of a benefit to them (read, they would get no additional monies). Commerce is one of their 2 most expensive "apps" and has the highest 6 month renewal fee.
    Honestly, it's not worth what you pay for it, and if it wasn't for the fact that my Classifieds add-on required it to work, I'd not have it at all due to it's limitations as an actual storefront.

15. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Why wouldn't/couldn't they charge for the tightly integrated API functionality, like any other add-on?

16. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    By the opposite token, why would anyone pay for it - at a cost that would benefit them?
    Sounds like that would be something that the commerce package developers should be doing.

And honestly, they most likely want to keep the platform integrated...you do realize that they sell IPS via a SaaS offering also I hope. I am pretty sure that trying to integrate those outside scripts would not be cost effective, not to mention to almost impossible to to utilize on their SaaS offering.
    I really don't see them creating 2 different product lines that require man-hours for updating.

17. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Because you can tightly integrate your IPS site with your eCommerce, with order history, trophy/point awards, account details, etc. all brought/linked into IPS. You get both integration and extremely powerful and full functional eCommerce capability by buying IPS eCommerce API integration add-on.

Or something the Community site developers should be doing. Does it matter who does, really? And realistically, much more likely for the likes of IPS to integrate with an eCommerce system than the other way around.

18. Tracy Perry

+3,010
    I know that I wouldn't want to be paying IPS to maintain an interface to multiple commerce apps. I honestly don't see any way of seamless integration.
    They would have to decide on ONE script to partner with to get a high level of integration.

Well, with the incessant hue and cry that goes on about how stuff should be core, I'd assume that would be the same here.
    And as for which is more likely... I would place my money on the commerce script vendor before I did IPS. As I said before, there is a larger cash income to them with the way it is now. The Commerce package is their most expensive (along with the forum itself) package at $100 for initial entry and then $70 a year for support. An API won't give IPS that kind of income and honestly if they had to try and support multiple outside commerce scripts it would probably cost them more than it does now on support and updates of the software.
    Their business (IPS) is to ultimately make THEM as much money as possible, not to do what is best for the end user. Sometimes their pursuit of the former benefits the latter.

I'd just as soon they spend more time on the package they have now and get it improved. One really weak spot that is present now rears it's head with some of the add-ons (Classifieds in my case). For payment (if you want to get a percentage of the transaction cost for hosting the sale) you HAVE to have all transactions go through your own PayPal account. YOU then distribute the money to the seller that the buyer has transferred. I see a MAJOR issue if the buyer contests the charge - now YOUR PayPal account will have the funds held, and if you've already transferred them to the seller then good luck on getting that back to return to the buyer.
    That is honestly fairly easy to solve/resolve in the workflow, but the coding may be more problematic. Their best bet would be a total rewrite most likely.

19. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    Its not an issue that they have Commerce add-on that needs to be more then it is now, thats the issue. If they take woo-commerce or megento as example and build something like that then they would have a good system.

20. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,684
    The problem with that that they would need new team members to develop and maintain it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted