Has Facebook taken people away from using forums?

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by simonetta, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Yes

93 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. Other

14 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,761
    No, I don't think so. From what I can tell, it isn't just forums, its everything almost. Phones are just a bad device to do internet on. Even facebook reduces itself down to basically a text message box. Phones are just too small and awkward a form factor for meaningful internet interaction and research

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,072
    So we just need bigger phones?

3. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,118
    Yeah. Joey's got a point. I've got an S7 and find it too small to do anything meaningful. I have large hands, that's the problem. If the phone were bigger, I'd have trouble putting it in my coat pocket or my dress pant pocket. There's got to be a sweet spot for resolution in relation to screen size, and manufacturers haven't met that yet. That and the ergonomics of zooming in with a double-tap of the area in question or squeezing/ripping the screen with your fingers, or whatever the technical term is. I have complaints with gyro sensors as well, because frankly you look like a crazy person flipping your phone around trying to get the dang sensor to flip the screen mode.

The problem with manufacturers is money. Why provide large screen real estate and larger battery on low and mid range phones? It'll cut into their bottom line and jack prices up. I want to say that we're still in the infancy of smartphones, and even internet services.

4. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,007
    They have to keep phones to a size that can be carried around. So guess you can only go so large with a phone before it becomes too large and impracticable to buy as a phone. So hard to see that phones will get much bigger than some already are to suit a forum, because people would only drop back down buying a phone instead they can fit in their pocket

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. The Sandman

+4,072
    Well... pockets can be made bigger as well. :D

6. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+753
    No, Facebook or any other social network didn't single handily kill 'forums'.
    Everyone has more avenues to get their questions answered.
    Survival of the fittest. :einstein:

7. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,007
    You can buy Camo Pants, they have huge side pockets. :rolleyes:

8. Maddox

Maddox Adherent

+264
    People today are more insular than they used to be. They have a tendency to form a bubble around themselves and only include those who are nearest and dearest to them. Facebook has adapted to provide a 'fix' for this insular attitude. Forums are more open spaced and this can scare some people; they don't want to interact with strangers and bare their soul to everyone. It's a sad indictment to society that people have been encouraged to adopt this attitude.

There's a saying that a 'stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet' - but getting this through to closed minds is not an easy task. People have also become accustomed to saying what they have to say in as few words as possible. So when they land on a forum and see posts/messages that run into paragraphs it either puts them off because they don't understand the concept of being able to express themselves in more than 140 characters (Twitter), or it scares the hell out of them that they can actually do this.

Interaction has a tendency to be discouraged - hell I even know couples who text messages to each other whilst sitting on the same settee. People should be encouraged to open up and state their opinions in a comprehensive and cohesive way that encompasses those who are like-minded, whether they know them or not. Forums give this opportunity to them, but they're reluctant to accept the invitation. I wish I had a magic wand to remedy the situation, but this is something that has been in the air for decades and people have succumbed to this through attrition. There's really no quick fix or speedy answer; all that can be done is to show people that forums are friendly places where good conversation can take place.

;)

9. -MFL-

-MFL- Neophyte

+3
    That's just what I did this summer! It's too complicated to find a decent belt case for a big smartphone and such is quite awkward to wear. So, I bought couple of army pants cause they were cheaper and easier to get. Should have done that couple of years ago! :)

10. The Sandman

+4,072
    I hope you're not wearing your new camo pants in that avatar picture. :eek:

Welcome to TAZ! :D

11. -MFL-

-MFL- Neophyte

+3
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted